Galley Box

Andrew
Investigator Boat Name: Teria

Re: Galley Box

Post by Andrew »

Thanks Ozzie and Peter, Built the lid fiddles/edge (and the glueing cloth tapes just came off) Tried it out for fit onboard Teria, it seems to be the right size to handle in the confines of the cabin. Made 45deg (mitre box) corner joins on fiddles

Regarding Heat sheilds/mats lining materials. Thanks for the silicone heat mat idea. Just wondering if teflon chopping board is fairly heat resistant too, (i have used my one as a heat pad fort boiled pots, seemed ok). have a big 2nd hand galvanized flat sheet metal that could be a base sheild, perhaps side walls sheilds too. (Priced and sized the embossed aluminium at B's, its 30cm x 90cm or 60 x 90cm..just a tad to short for single covering my side walls etc plus exy)

Was thinking about cork tiles for the heat lid tray lining..? They'd be non skid for pots pans.

Might see what Aldi's got in store (It's day 2 post-Aldi here, was mayhem on opening day so stayed away :D )
Attachments
rps20231123_104915.jpg
rps20231123_105337.jpg
rps20231123_105108.jpg
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

My wife has a silicon tray (quite thin) you can bake on and we have silicon tubes with a slit on the side I bought from I think the reject shop that you bung over the front of your slide out oven shelves to stop you burning yourself on them when hot. So must be tough stuff . Gal sheet would be pretty bullet proof . You could also use it as a base for heating with a pot/ candle setup although heaters are probably not required in your neck of the woods too often :)

Anyway Project looking good !
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Thanks Ozzie, i went looking for silicone trivet mats but only found a silicone mesh drain mat at kmart ($5) (and 2 cork pot trivets $5)
silicone drain mat Kmart
silicone drain mat Kmart
Checked out the new ALDI store :shock: It was packed full of people, and small in floor area, quite a differnet experience from the duopoly. Found a good "special" , three pack of flexible stem refillable BBQ gas lighters for $10, they're like mini blow torches with adjustable output too. :D Should be good to light the Bonetti CAN stove. (and my 1985 Coleman kero pressure lamp, 2nd hand, for camping/cyclone disasters etc)

Finally found some 6pack CORK tiles at B's (6 for $17/ 0.5m2) Theyre 305x305x6mm. Reading up cork has good fire resistance and heat insulation properties, it is also impermeable to water plus a bit flexible and springs back. Amazing stuff. Didn't realise it's the bark of the cork oak tree mostly produced in Portugal, Spain and Nth West Africa. They harvest some off part of a tree every 9 years only, the tree can live to 200 years old, very sustainable. It's mostly used as corks for fine wine bottles, the offcuts are glued up to form cork sheeting and tiles. The tiles i bought are floor tiles, they have allot of wear resistance and that bit of give so peoples feet don't eventually pack up like on ceramic/concrete floors. (might be a good I563 floor covering? remember some 1970's home built yachts had them on galley floors etc)

The silicone mat should still be good for some applications, just need to find some and experiment a bit. It would creat a great non-skid surface too making it safer to have hot pots in close proximity.
Last edited by Andrew on Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Got the cork tiles cut, fitted and siliconed in place.

Next, want to cover the inside of stove box with 0.6mm embossed aluminium sheet (90x90cm). Decided to use this (instead of galv sheet i have) as Al sheet is far easier to work/bend, lighter and gets rid of its heat buildup faster.

The cork looks ok on the trivet surfaces (lid and front door, very non skid too) Had a few thoughts about whether to line the stove box with cork (or not) (which will form a composite core material - a ply, cork, aluminium sandwich) , is it even necessary? Had plenty of cork tiles so used them. It's an experiment as found no online stuff about it. (Also completely by chance, and totally unplanned, the three 305x305mm metric cork tiles are actually 12" tiles - beginners luck, 3 tiles fit in without cutting. When building the box had no idea B's cork tiles were same dimensions! Had to add a few 20 mm or so strips of cork to fill in the long 13" axis tho)

As cork is an insulator, no heat should get out through it, and the aluminium refects and radiates its heat back into the box where it's needed. Clear silicone sealant used as the adhesive, (should be heat tolerant?)
Attachments
rps20231127_110546.jpg
rps20231127_110452.jpg
rps20231127_110228.jpg
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
IanS
Investigator Boat Name: Rhythm

Post by IanS »

Brilliant work Andrew!

I read Roger Barnes' book - very entertaining. https://www.amazon.com.au/Dinghy-Cruisi ... 1472994299

My galley is an explodo stove that came in a plastic case from Bunnings, plus this cooking set (which I bought on special): https://decathlon.com.au/products/mh-10 ... 8451349615

Plus a small esky for the ingredients. The camping cooking set lives in a window cleaner box under the cockpit. The can of LPG freaks me out a bit, so it goes home in the esky.

Every time I have cooked in the boat on anchor, with the stove on the cockpit floor, a large motor launch waits until the food has just started boiling, and then motors past at maximum displacement to create a wake large enough to send the meal everywhere :x
Ian, Rhythm #121
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Thanks Ian, those big motor boat wakes when at anchor eventually (after 10 years) motivated me to start this galley project. :)

That's good you sent the link to Rogers book, it's an excellent reference book. I've got he 2014 original edition. So many things in the book are applicable to other small craft like Investigators. Have to admit i'm not an avid book reader, so only got about half way through it, but did find the cooking section which i'd missed (its near the end of book), and Rogers galley, seadog recepes, plus his "Cook", crew and "Skipper" and their various different requirements are described in a humourous way.

Just fitted the first aluminium sheet panel, it's a base pan. (Hope it can hold any spilt and on fire metho fuel, like fuel safety bund on mining sites - worst case scenario, prob never happen). Also my salsa meths stove fits into the box.
Attachments
rps20231128_090419.jpg
rps20231128_090514.jpg
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

IanS wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:19 pm Every time I have cooked in the boat on anchor, with the stove on the cockpit floor, a large motor launch waits until the food has just started boiling, and then motors past at maximum displacement to create a wake large enough to send the meal everywhere :x
That must be the same basket who visits Lake Mac whenever I’m cooking :twisted: :roll:

I hope his through hulls fall out while he’s on the head!!

A1 galley box Andrew. Cork is absolutely the go. We had a cork floor in our kitchen for 20 years and it was pretty bullet-proof. Made the mistake of removing it and polishing the floorboards after that. Now it gets dings in it from dropped pots and I bust a lot of crockery on the polished floors.

All you need is a manufacturer and sit back and collect the royalties!
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Got the heat sheild fitted and screwed down. Trickier than first envisaged. Made the sheild in 4 parts..basepan, backwall and 2vsidewalls ..thats the order they go in. Each part has bent flange edges that overlap other sides and shaped edges that go over the top of box and front door posts, which also grab onto the edges. (there must be an easier way, aluminium extrusions to fit for Mark2?)

Next are the wood handles and lid clamp downs.

It's quite solid, and much heavier than expected. Should be a family heirloom! This prototype is too complex for economical production..need to figure out how to simplify design for that Ozzie ;-)
Attachments
rps20231129_141526.jpg
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Lid latches and handles on today,

Used wood blocks as handles, they are 20mm thick which is flush with the lid edge , and allows this type of latch to function.

The latches have screw adjustment, so can hold the lid on tight. Went for stainless ones, $18 each at B's.
Attachments
rps20231129_172357.jpg
rps20231129_172602.jpg
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Peter T
Investigator Boat Name: Sail- La- Vie

Post by Peter T »

Beautiful job Andrew. Well done
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."