Tohatsu Sail Pro

General Sailing Talk
Peter T
Investigator Boat Name: Sail- La- Vie

Re: Tohatsu Sail Pro

Post by Peter T »

Yes thanks Andrew. If yours is OK, then mine should be also. Will have it checked out.
Cheers
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

The sail pro comes standard with low pitched high thrust prop doesn’t it.

https://www.boatingmag.com/how-to/under ... ler-pitch/

I confess to being a bit confused with prop terminology. The above article is a fairly easy to understand explanation. If I ever get my Johnson 4 back from my mechanic…still waiting on carbie parts… I’ll ask him about a lower pitched prop. It’s good to know I’m not Robinson Crusoe when it comes to prop knowledge deficit. There are a maze of posts on prop differences in various forums on the web and it’s confusing stuff at times.

I’m thinking after all the stuff I’ve read it may be not needed given the fact I just leave and approach my mooring area under motor but if the reduced hp of the four Jono vs my old Mariner five is an issue I’ll examine my options.

Anyone on here have a 4hp, any brand, on their 563 and what pitch prop are you using and what is your standard prop?
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Peter T

Post by Peter T »

Hi Ozzie, yes prop science is a full subject on its own. From my understanding, because the 4 stroke is slower revving, it can cope with a higher pitch prop giving more bite or thrust as the motor has more torque to be able to push it in difference to what a 2 stroke engine could take.
Anyway, have been researching Tohatsu Sail Pro outboard and their steering lock issue. The earlier shorter shaft ones had a different tensioning mechanism which is a square shaped block that has a curve in it and the thumb screw just presses that against the motor . The later sail Pro models have a different set up with a thin ring that is supposed to add tension to dampen the steering. These are not designed to actually be a steering lock and if the spring loaded thumb screw is over tensioned, then the whole mechanism fails.
There has been lots and lots of complaints about the lack of ability to be able to lock the steering.
Thhatsu has apparently recognised this problem and have come up with a simple plate that somehow clamps onto the handle of the sail pro, held on with two bolts through the handle with somehow locks the steering
I went to talk to my local Tohatsu guy here in Tassie who made a phone call on my behalf and found out that these plates ore available and are apparently on back order and should be available mid April.
I have ordered one and will advise on here once I am in possession of it to its effectiveness or otherwise. No idea of cost as yet.
Hopefully this will enable me to remove my home made version which unfortunately prevents the motor from being able to be tilted and as Andrew says, it's an advantage to be able to use motor steering especially leaving or arriving at or from a dock
Cheers
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Geoff
Investigator Boat Name: #50 Timeless

Post by Geoff »

Ozzie, I will be very interested in responses. Timeless came with a 70s vintage Mariner 5hp 2 stroke, I think you have one too.

In Qld you don't have to register your boat unless the hp exceeds 4hp.

I recently bought a used 4 stroke 4hp Mariner, much newer than the other one, and no relation apparently. My research tells me that it is a re-badged Tohatsu, and that Tohatsu makes most of the small outboards currently for most of the big brands, who re-badge them.

The prop is 7" pitch. You can buy replacements for not much more than $30. You can get a high-thrust 6" prop but it is closer to $200. My understanding is that this 6" is the prop that comes on the Sailpro.

Also, from trawling forums and then checking spec sheets, it seems that the Tohatsu and its renamed copies, 4,5 and 6 hp are all the same motor. The carbies are different to rate horsepower. 5 and 6 is the same carby body but jetted differently, the 4 has a narrower venturi and different jets as well.

The donk I bought had a new carby fitted, so I will be taking it off one day to measure the venturi and jets. Because it seems that if I fit, or already have a 6 hp carby, I would have a 6hp Tohatsu badged as a 4hp Mariner. That would be noice.

And if I ever got a reasonably priced 6" prop, I would be running a Sailpro in all but name.

Lot of ifs.
Geoff
Investigator #50 'Timeless'
Investigator #111 'Missy'

As the engineer said, "sure it works in practice, but will it work in theory?"
Peter T

Post by Peter T »

Hi Gents. From my research, the 4 stroke sail Pro Hi Thrust prop for the 4, 5 and 6 Hp models is
8 3/8 " × 6 "
I don't think that would be the same for 2 stroke as they rev higher than the 4 stroke. But I am not certain of this.

Dia of prop is always the first number
Screenshot_20220328-191640_eBay.jpg
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

Geoff

Post by Geoff »

Yes Peter, that's the one I want. :)

Someone in the US sells an aftermarket job called a Black Max I think. But they all end up being big bucks by the time they are landed here.

Not big money if you can justify the usage, but I think I can get by with the 7" until someone sells one on Gumtree cheap. Could happen. :lol:
Geoff

Peter T

Post by Peter T »

Hi Geoff, try Propeller World, Aust based.
Sail Pro prop 12 splind for $125. New

"Propeller Sale! Huge range of S/Steel, Aluminium & Bronze Propellers" https://www.propellerworld.com.au/produ ... propellers

Just need to make sure it fits the shaft of the motor you are using it on.

Cheers
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

Geoff

Post by Geoff »

Hi Peter,

I have checked them out before, maybe you can help me a bit.

I think the one you are referring to is

https://www.propellerworld.com.au/produ ... -propeller

It comes in Diam/Pitch 7.7/8"x 9"P, 7.7/8"x 8"P, 7.7/8"x 7"P, 7.7/8"x 6"P for $125

So there is a standard diameter 6" pitch option now, last time I checked I am pretty sure 7" was the smallest pitch in that size.

But, and you might be able to confirm if you have a Sailpro - The High-thrust prop is a larger dia as well as being 6" thrust.

The only one I can find on their site that is 8.4"x 6"P [High-Thrust] is

https://www.propellerworld.com.au/produ ... hp-mercury is $260

Appreciate your feedback, esp on prop diameter for the factory Sailpro.

It's one of those things - I don't feel a need to have one at the moment, the standard one does fine for the little I ask of it, which is getting off the ramp and sometimes getting back in. But I can see that in tidal situations or when the pressure was on the extra torque would be a huge advantage for a displacement boat.
Geoff

Geoff

Post by Geoff »

I just did a search on gumtree, the only ad is for someone wanting one...

Wanted .....Tohatsu -Merc 4hp-6hp 8.4 x 6 High thrust 12 spline prop.
Negotiable
Geoff

Peter T

Post by Peter T »

Hi Geoff, very difficult to accurately measure my prop as it's 3 blade but from what I can tell, I would say it's 8 3/8 inch Dia and 6 inch pitch as per the photo I posted of with the English price and states that it's a High Thrust. Mine is definitely a High Thrust
8.4 inch would be right, 8 3/8 "
Just looked at that Propeller World ones and there is something wrong there as it says it fits Tohatsu 4, 6 and 8 hp but it also says 8 7/8". So I don't know. Might pay to give them a call. Mine is not 8 7/8"
Hope this helps
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114