Tohatsu Sail Pro

General Sailing Talk
Franklin
Investigator Boat Name: Franklin

Tohatsu Sail Pro

Post by Franklin »

What are people’s experiences with the Tohatsu Sail Pro? Looks like one of the only outboards on the market designed for the requirements of trailer sailers.
What top speeds are people getting out of them on their I563?
I imagine they have a fair bit of punch on an 18ft boat given the high trust prop.

Cheers
Franklin
Peter T
Investigator Boat Name: Sail- La- Vie

Re: Tohatsu Sail Pro

Post by Peter T »

I don't have one myself, but I have heard from some who do have them that they have said that they are ideal for an investigator. Just need to remember that you will only get "hull speed" from any outboard. Any more power that you apply than that which will give you hull speed is a waste of power as all you will get is more fuel used and it will tend to try and bury the stern as the boat tries to climb it's own bow wave.
Every time a displacement hull moves a boat length, it has to push its own weight in water out of the way. Some of this goes out the sides and some gets pushed out in front. This water that gets pushed out in front causes the bow wave. The faster you go, the higher the bow wave becomes until the boat can no longer climb the bow wave and so this is when it reaches its hull speed. Applying any more revs or throttle or power will be wasted. I believe that an investigator has a hull speed of around 5 to 6 knots. It also has a lot to do with the water line length of the boat which of course you can not change. This is why a longer boat can go faster because the longer the boat, the larger the bow wave needs to be to stall the speed of the boat due to the angle of the climb.
I hope this is useful to you
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Andrew
Investigator Boat Name: Teria

Post by Andrew »

I bought a Tohatsu sailpro 6. Its a very good motor for Teria.

I cruise about 5 knots on about half throttle, so it only uses around 1 Litre/hour. It has a 12 L tank and with a few more petrol containers the potential motoring hours and distance is huge, no range anxiety for coastal cruising. It turns the boat into a good motor sailer, so can take advantage of calm early mornings to easily go 10-20 n miles (ideal to make upwind ground) before a sea breeze blows up.

Other features my motor has. Ultra long shaft - it never lifts out even in the worst conditions. Battery charger - keeps battery full. 4 stroke - no messy oil mixing, straight unleaded 91 so can burn the leftover fuel in the car, and always have fresh fuel for each trip.
Its not to heavy to lift - 28kg's , so saves old back. The fuel line also can be detached from tank, which makes boat harder for boat stealers.
It's far quieter than the old 2 stroke. Far cleaner - No smoke or oil etc in water either. Has a friction screw to hold it straight. Also has a longer tiller than usual with a throttle holding friction screw, and a gear lever on the front so easy to reach.

It gets to 5.5 knot hull speed but as Peter said no amount of throttle makes it go faster, just wastes fuel. When the wind gets strong on the nose and the chop is heavy, it can push the boat into it. Have to throttle back for that until a comfortable sane speed is reached, (its powerfull). The propellors pitch is designed for displacement hulls, so grips the water at low revolutions. eg when using reverse as a brake at the dock, idling is enough power to pull it up.
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Peter T

Post by Peter T »

Hi Andrew, I have been lucky enough to have picked up a 2nd hand Tohatsu Sail Pro for my Investigator. They are very hard to find. Paid $1200 ( they retail new for around $2400) for it and sold the 8 Hp Yamaha for $900 so have ended up with a better set-up with all the advantages you spoke of for just $300. Very happy. Can't wait for the weather to warm up enough so I can get the boat painted and then try it all out
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Thats a great deal, :)
it should make a difference with less weight hanging aft and still plenty of power if needed. Im very happy with my one, opens up more destinations, and less worry about getting back on time.

Stuck ashore here awhile tho, doing a driveway upgrade first, designed it to council specs, (plus must handle an I563s trailer turning circle ;) ) approval pending..
Last edited by Andrew on Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Peter T

Post by Peter T »

Now Andrew, the last part of your post makes it all very worthwhile, an I563 turning circle. Fabulous. Cheers
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

Interesting that you mention turning circle. I’m putting a post on the “ Ramp Report “ thread.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

another turning circle .. ;) fast U-turns and slow speed manoeuvring. sometimes use the outboards tiller to turn the boat much more quickly than with rudder only. Outboard tiller steering is great when taking off from zero speed near a dock or another boat (zero speed = zero "steerage way" on the rudder) eg at the ramp dock. The outboard can just about turn the hull around its axis if needed. I've also used outboard tiller steering on final approach to dock in reverse gear (brake with steering)
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Peter T

Post by Peter T »

HinAndrew, thanks for that great info. The steering damper on mine seems to have no effect, even when the thumb screw is done right up. Is yours the same or, how much steering resistance should that thumb screw give ?
Thanks
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Gday Peter, Havent noticed a problem with my T6 ob yet. (Its near new tho) thumb screw seems to hold it ok. Had it serviced by tohatsu dealer twice..pre-break in brand new and at 30hrs/1 yr (to change gear box oil to normal stuff)

I tighten the swivel damper when clear of land. Always loosen it when close to ramp dock for better control.

Not sure why your one isnt holding, might need a tohatsu mechanics advice? Perhaps previous owner forced it when it was clamped tight and some part broke or wore out? or there is too much grease packed in there?
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria