Stands for drying out

General Sailing Talk
Franklin
Investigator Boat Name: Franklin

Stands for drying out

Post by Franklin »

Has anyone tried setting up some kind of prop or stand for drying the boat out at low tide?
I’m thinking some kind of prop that attaches to the topsides to stop the boat flopping on to its side

Cheers
Franklin
Geoff
Investigator Boat Name: #50 Timeless

Re: Stands for drying out

Post by Geoff »

Hey Franklin,

I will be following this with interest. I have been building some in my head for some time. :)

There are posts here that reference different ideas. I am thinking along the same line as you. I have aluminium toe rails, so think I could make something that would be reasonably easy to attach/detach. Or even be able to mount semi-permanently and swing up. One on each side.

I was thinking of using aluminium box section, shs. Maybe sleeved and sliding for adjustment and to make stowage easier. Still thinking on the size of the pivoting feet.

So I am keen for input from anyone who has given it a go.
Geoff
Investigator #50 'Timeless'
Investigator #111 'Missy'

As the engineer said, "sure it works in practice, but will it work in theory?"
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

I have often wondered if two well inflated truck sized inner tubes would do the job. You are fairly low to the ground resting on the keel.

There is a published page from the Investigator society describing how to launch the boat onto the grass to do keel repairs. If I remember correctly on the original MSN forum some posters had done it and said it was not that hard with a few people to get the boat standing on its keel from heeled over. I mention it because it must be fairly well balanced and obviously has a low CG so big inner tubes while not stable might decrease the size and strength of the support legs needed to make it stable. I’m only quoting the Society here. I’ve never tried it. I have however managed to right the boat on the trailer when I only had one of my support legs being used when antifouling and it slipped. We managed to right it okay with just the two of us.

You may get different results at home so be cautious :shock:
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Andrew
Investigator Boat Name: Teria

Post by Andrew »

It's a topic i'm Interested in but too scared to experiment with!

We were discussing it under the topic "beaching legs", the "Keel plank" was one idea

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=846&p=4434&hilit=ke ... 818a#p4434
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria