Spinnakers

General Sailing Talk
Craig12
Investigator Boat Name: The Bradbree

Spinnakers

Post by Craig12 »

Does Investigator CBH include spinnakers?
If so are there any limitations, measurements etc that need to be aware of?
Anyone have a recommended spinnaker size that suits an Investigator?
Craig12
Investigator Boat Name: The Bradbree

Re: Spinnakers

Post by Craig12 »

Thanks David
IanS
Investigator Boat Name: Rhythm

Post by IanS »

Hi Craig,

My boat came with a symmetrical spinnaker which I haven't used. But it also came with this asymmetrical, I guess it's a gennaker, complete with a snuffer sock (the past owner obviously loved this boat). I've used it a few times and its great. Easy to use and good fit for the boat. The sail makers require the fore triangle dimensions (height of mast and distance from mast to tack). I use the bow roller for the tack adjustment and its in the perfect spot for the foot to sit just above the pulpit rail. This one is obviously ancient but I am sure there are similar sails around today.
Lee Mistress Spinnaker_Page_1.jpg
Lee Mistress Spinnaker_Page_2.jpg
Gennaker - 1.jpg
(not a great shot but gives you the idea)
Gennaker2 - 1.jpg
Cheers,
Ian
Ian, Rhythm #121
Geoff
Investigator Boat Name: #50 Timeless

Post by Geoff »

Ian, thanks for that.

My boat came with a large, light genny that I have used as such. But I wondered what it would be like run up to the top of the mast with the spinnaker halyard as a gennaker. I will be giving that a go.
Geoff
Investigator #50 'Timeless'
Investigator #111 'Missy'

As the engineer said, "sure it works in practice, but will it work in theory?"
IanS

Post by IanS »

Hi Geoff,

The lazy sheet runs around the front of the forestay so it gybes around the front. Seems to work OK. The tack adjuster runs back to the cockpit via the bow roller but you could just as easily tie it off to any strong point ahead of the forestay.

One day, I must learn how to use the symmetrical spinnaker...

Looking forward to getting on to the water at Easter. Enjoy.

Ian
Ian, Rhythm #121
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

Hi Ian,

Do you work your tack line to improve trim or just set and forget? There seems to be 2 schools of thought, some have a fixed line as per your alternative suggestion, and others cleat off the line in the cockpit like you do. But what I am asking is - for cruising, not racing, do you reckon there is a benefit to being able to adjust the tack line that makes it worth the effort of setting up that way?

Thanks!
Geoff

IanS

Post by IanS »

Hi Geoff,

I am no expert, but I think the idea is: ease off the luff for downwind, pull it on as you head further up wind. Here's the instructions from the sail spec sheet:

Setting the Tack Height Adjuster
To find the correct height for the tack adjuster, sail off with the apparent wind about 90 - 100 degrees. Raise the tack up and down until the middle shoulder rolls in evenly as the sheet is eased. If the luff collapses too low then the tack adjuster should be loosened; if the luff collapses too high the tack adjuster should be tightened. .

Correct Sheeting
Once the correct height of the tack has been :,found the sheet lead position should be moved tore and aft until the horizontal panels are almost paralleI with the horizon. The clew will then be about 2' - 4' higher than the tack. This sheeting position should remain fairly constant for all points of sailing in. most wind conditions. As the wind moves further aft the sheet is eased, meaning that the effective lead position moves further aft. To correct this, the tack adjuster should be eased, allowing the tack to rise with the clew.

Is there a benefit? At least it makes it easier to experiment. Perhaps once I know what I'm doing I might just set and forget.

Cheers,
Ian
Ian, Rhythm #121
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

Ian,

Thats great thanks. I was going to run a line and experiment, but those instructions will make it heaps easier with my limited knowledge.

From those instructions seems a proper tack line is the go, as in it seems you should use the tack line more than the sheets.

Thanks for taking the time!
Geoff

Andrew
Investigator Boat Name: Teria

Post by Andrew »

IanS wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:05 pm My boat came with a symmetrical spinnaker which I haven't used. But it also came with this asymmetrical, I guess it's a gennaker, complete with a snuffer sock (the past owner obviously loved this boat). I've used it a few times and its great. Easy to use and good fit for the boat. The sail makers require the fore triangle dimensions (height of mast and distance from mast to tack). I use the bow roller for the tack adjustment and its in the perfect spot for the foot to sit just above the pulpit rail. This one is obviously ancient but I am sure there are similar sails around today.
Lee Mistress Spinnaker_
Thanks for the great Info Ian, will remember Lee sails cruising genakers for future reference. Your dousing sock must make it easy to handle.

My boat came with a very old patched asymetric MPS. It has a luff wire and made from lightweight spinaker cloth so stays set in light airs. It's simple to handle solo sailing and makes a knot or two extra difference downwind. Use it If i'm down to 2-3 knots boat speed on a reach to run with a fair way to go. Next time will try attaching the tack to the bow roller as you do. This style suits me for cruising, as there is less gear and it stows away easily.
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
IanS

Post by IanS »

I have to admit I didn't even think of using the jib halyard for the gennaker, although the instructions seem to indicate that's the thing to do (probably not with the snuffer though). Leaving the furled jib in place when using the gennaker does mean less hassle, although my jib is fitted with hanks as well as a furler which at first I thought was overkill on such a small boat. But, the day the furler drum got tangled in 20+ knots the hanks were a godsend!

Bring on the long weekend!!
Ian, Rhythm #121