Raising mast

Watto
Investigator Boat Name: Ex - Fathom #82

Raising mast

Post by Watto »

So after raising and lowering the mast half a dozen times by one person in the cockpit and me on the front pulling on the stay wire I’m now thinking there has to be a easier way utilising the winches. My boat has a pouch on the front with some small cord and a shackle with a pulley mounted below. I suspect this was intended to be used in raising the mast however wondering if the diameter of the cord is up to the task.

I do have the rudder mounted cross with a roller to make the task a bit easier in setting it up.

How does everyone else raise the mast and do you think I should be upgrading my proposed cord?
Attachments
A20BE23C-51BC-4CFF-B508-8677B07BF888.jpeg
Luke

-previously-
Fathom
Investigator sail #82
Geoff
Investigator Boat Name: #50 Timeless

Re: Raising mast

Post by Geoff »

Hi Watto,

I just stand in the cockpit, lift the mast to shoulder height and walk forward until I am on the step into the cabin. Washboards are out and hatch slid forward already, obviously. From there I can push forward and the mast is standing up.

When my jib halyard is not attached to the sail it is clipped to the tack shackle on the bow roller. So while I hold the mast up by pushing forward with my right hand I pop the jib halyard into its cleat. Then I step back into the cockpit and put some more load on the jib halyard and re-cleat it. Then walk to the bow and pin the forestay.

I take the jib with me and set it up while I am there. So one trip forward to pin the mast foot, and one to pin the forestay and rig the jib.
Geoff
Investigator #50 'Timeless'
Investigator #111 'Missy'

As the engineer said, "sure it works in practice, but will it work in theory?"
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=451&p=2220&hilit=co ... ight#p2220

Hi Watto, link above is to my experiment with counter weight lifting of mast , which can be done solo. I take no credit for this I found it on the net somewhere years ago , but it works ok. Really just duplicates the idea of the mast mate in that it reduces the apparent load of the mast.

With any method I recommend the use of a step ladder to safety get from the cockpit floor to cabin top.And reversal of process. A while back I was dropping the mast at the shore with help on a forward line and stepped back from the cabin roof or should that be misstepped and went full distance down to the cockpit in one step. No damage to me amazingly or the equipment but it could have been a disaster.

Cord diameter looks ok , might be spectra so then it would be fine. If in doubt get some Bunnings stuff ,6mm . Ok for such jobs but don’t use it for critical rigging.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Watto
Investigator Boat Name: Ex - Fathom #82

Post by Watto »

Thanks for the tips guys. To be honest I haven’t been the one in the cockpit yet that’s been the poor mrs job. Like the idea of using the head sail as I just got a new one made up on a furler.
Luke

-previously-
Fathom
Investigator sail #82
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

Hi Watto,

It is a lot easier to lift (from the cockpit) than it is to pull it up (from the bow), especially until it gets closer to vertical.

If you do want to use 2 people, and you are the muscle, better having you in the cockpit lifting and the missus taking up the slack on the line at the front, ready to cleat off on something if you get into strife.

I do it on my own. When I got my boat and looked on the forum same as you are now, I tried a few of the different ways suggested, then I read some posts by Ray, who is a long-time owner and forum member. He isn't as young as you and he said he just walks the mast up. He said he can rig and launch in about 30 minutes.

I am down to 40 minutes and working to improve my PB. :)
Geoff

Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

I have a 3 step Gorilla ladder that fits snuggly between the cockpit lockers which can but not always be lashed to the rail for stability if I’m inclined. Normally not.

The problem with trying to step from floor to cabintop is that these are big steps and offset to the centreline of the boat and your mast weight. Get offline and you can crack your mast base. Expensive :shock:

In previous posts I have referred to this big step as the “leap of faith” as per Indiana Jones. :lol: :lol: coming down is worse.

If I were not moored and rigging every trip I think I’d buy a mast mate . Reducing the mast weight by some means , mine or theirs, is a good idea. Although my issue was due to disease and not injuries, as a person who has had to deal with a decrepit spine for half my life I can tell you after much study, the average human is only one misadventure/lift away from permanent spinal injury and you definitely do not want to go there believe me.

When you think of the overall cost an electric boat winch with a remote just to raise the mast, not for retrieving is probably not overkill for the regular solo sailer and would probably mean less hassle and therefore more sailing in the long run . Cant be a bad thing ;)
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

Hi Ozzie,

I don't need to step up to the coachroof, I can get enough leverage from the cabin step. I am guessing you have to cleat off while the mast is partly raised to make the step up? Or it would impose big loads on the lifting man?

I find that walking it up from the cockpit floor is safe and stable, and quick, so less time for it to be affected by winds etc.

I am not trying to make a case for the method I have chosen, just what works for me. I have also used the mainsheet from the bow roller to the spinnaker pole fitting on the mast front, but it takes longer. Best advantage of that is you can apply more preload to make pinning the forestay a bit easier.
Geoff

Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

Hi Geoff, no it’s just me :lol: I’m something of a small train wreck. Fortunately because of my engineering background I have managed over the years with wedges wheels pulleys more pulleys and anything that gives mechanical advantage to continue doing the things I love. I can roughly remember what it was like to have a good spine. Actually I normally have my wife on the forward line and used to have the mainsheet blocks in use for some mechanical advantage but now we find just a rope and good footing is all that’s required.

I still find it a bit of a load helping get the mast vertical but considering we do it only for haulout it’s not an issue often enough to be an issue. Mast raising covers more posts on most trailer sailor forums and anything. If it works go for it.
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

Hi Ozzie,

I am with you on utilizing mechanical advantage. When I got the boat, having never sailed before, the mast-raising was a bit daunting. But after a few goes it got very easy, so simplicity and speed were the goals.

But I still ponder on the near future when I am less nimble and likely heavier (15kgs over reasonable now, someone left the gate open to the creek paddock). It shouldn't be too challenging to set up a roller pivot that would let one use the existing mechanical boat winch. A remote electric would be the duck's guts.
Geoff

Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

I’ll definitely give it a go from the cabin next time. I’ll post from the emergency ward at John Hunter hospital if I stuff it up :lol:
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)