Micturition Syncope . Don't urinate over the rail.

Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Micturition Syncope . Don't urinate over the rail.

Post by Ozzie »

https://www.pantaenius.com/au-en/insigh ... nation-10/

This has been mentioned before but I was reading my subscription issues of cruising helmsman before they close in case the site closes as well and it’s mentioned on there as well. For those who have not read it it’s worth noting the main points. I thought this deserved its own post.

In short Micturition Syncope is fainting or lapse in consciousness during or after urinating

* Caused by drinking and holding it too long

My previous advice on holding on with both hands ( rail that is ) was wrong as it’s is not the issue. You need a harness and it needs to be adjusted so you can go while not going overboard. Unconscious condition may last for up to 30 seconds. Most importantly this may not happen in the middle of the night battling heavy seas off the coast of Corsica. It just as likely to happen on the mooring in dead still conditions. But there are no degrees of death, either way you will be listening to John Lennon. Live.

Safer option is use a bucket.

Dump it downwind.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Peter T
Investigator Boat Name: Sail- La- Vie

Re: Micturition Syncope . Don't urinate over the rail.

Post by Peter T »

Like I have mentioned elsware, you definitely do not want to die of “FOS” ( Fly Open Syndrome)
Many yachties have done and have been plucked from the water and found to have their fly’s open. They were obviously urinating over the side and fell in. Better a Porta Pottie than a funeral ( and that’s if the find you)

Regards Peter T
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Andrew
Investigator Boat Name: Teria

Post by Andrew »

Geez, never heard of that syndrome leading to drownings before Ozzie, but thanks for the safety advice on this issue.
Out sailing solo i have a 2L plastic painters bucket with sealable lid, in anchorages its the portaloo. Always thought it was fairly safe at a quiet night anchorage to hang onto the backstay with the guard rail near, but after reading that not so sure on that one anymore!
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Peter T
Investigator Boat Name: Sail- La- Vie

Post by Peter T »

It's ok to do it so long as you use a lift line and are tied on.

Regards Peter T
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."