Electric yachts - the future?

General Sailing Talk
Andrew
Investigator Boat Name: Teria

Re: Electric yachts - the future?

Post by Andrew »

This is up there with Ozzies " Smallest boat in the US Navy", entertaining and innovative electric mini-tug boat cat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFhsh4V8SZA
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

Andrew, that is an absolutely champion clip. Even more amazing is that he used an inflatable kayak. We have two inflatable paddle boards we take travelling if we don’t want to take the cat/trailer and the hydrodynamics are pretty abysmal. With a hard shell narrow sea kayak he could probably have gone twice as far to an Hawaiian destination. 8-) Note heavy pitched props for pulling load.

Have to check out his other vids.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Andrew
Investigator Boat Name: Teria

Post by Andrew »

Young fellas a bit of a genius, He's usually into RC aircraft and i recently came across his channel when a clip for a STOL triplane he designed and built with high-tech popped up, it had a million views already.

His mini cat-tugboat was able to re-charge itself as he did the 20 mile trip and it certainly garnered allot of positive attention on the trip. No shortage of boats and all sorts of marine stuff along that waterway either.

Those inflatable paddleboards look like fun, have watched a few vid's on them and they seem to have come along way on design and robustness (watched one clip where they drove a 4WD over it no problems!)
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

https://mr4x4.com.au/why-are-evs-so-bloody-ugly/

Given the big interest in this topic (over 10,000 views :o ...on our little forum 8-) ...) I thought you all might like this article. As you won’t be towing your Investigator with a Nissan Leaf you’re going to face the possibility of doing it with one of these, if you want to go electric. It’s interesting the Bollinger 4x4 has been suspended in favour of developing of larger service type trucks. I’m not sure a Tesla would pull a 563 so an F150EV seems more likely to become a choice. Nobody will be able to afford cousin Elon’s Cybertruck except him.

Coincidentally we have just replaced the Mrs car. Our friends who, because they don’t boat or caravan have considerably more cash to dish on cars are considering doing the same but are giving serious consideration to going electric. We had the weekend bbq debate on this a while back but I’m still not convinced. Even the possibility of the current tragedy in Europe driving fuel through the roof didn’t convince me...so we bought a Hyundai Venue. At around 7litres/100km it will still happily service our annual average 10K for our second car mileage without breaking the bank. That’s even if the worlds woes proclaim hell on earth @ $3 a litre. It is big enough to tow the little cat on its trailer if circumstances dictate we go back to one car. It has considerably more boot space than the Swift it replaced but is only a foot longer so still fits in parking spots nothing else will and well, we just liked it.

Which gets back to the article under reference above. EVs are so bloody ugly :lol:
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

https://mr4x4.com.au/bollinger-electric ... ter+%23388

Further to above. Investors obviously still not sure either.
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

https://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index ... -electric/

Some interesting stuff here, lots of batteries and money involved anyway FYI.
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Peter T
Investigator Boat Name: Sail- La- Vie

Post by Peter T »

I can't wait for the next 10 years to see where this is going to lead. My prediction is that it's just going to keep on getting more and more a viable option. You can guarantee that battery technology is going to expand exponentially in that sort of time frame as well as charging options.
We only have to look at the cruise industry already to see that electric propulsion is already viable. Virtually all modern cruise ships use diesel generators purely to supply all power requirements on a cruise ship including electric drive motors, so electric drive power must be far superior and efficient to that of diesel motor propulsion
We already have companies like Ocean Volt offering electric conversions.
It can only mean an exciting future I think
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Watto
Investigator Boat Name: Ex - Fathom #82

Post by Watto »

Luke

-previously-
Fathom
Investigator sail #82
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

The thing that’s impressive about the design is the adjustment from short to long shaft . Also the weight is considerably less (12kg) by having the motor removable from the clamp. Makes you wonder why conventional motors have not tried this functionality before. My Johnson 4 is 6kg lighter than my 5 Mariner which makes a considerable difference when weight is an issue . If you could have a clamp that could separate from the main and save weight for lifting purposes I’d keep the five. Also having the ability to move the motor up and down in the clamp to change from short to long shaft would be excellent on small motors .

Not sure altogether with the integrated battery. One consideration of having a separate battery is that it helps again with transport. The more components you can lift and carry as a separate entity makes life a hell of a lot easier when you get older. Hence the success of flatpack furniture (in 5 boxes) instead on one monster wardrobe.

Let’s hope somebody on here has their order in and we’ll get a full report on the first electric Investigator some time soon :)
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Watto
Investigator Boat Name: Ex - Fathom #82

Post by Watto »

Would be cool if you could use that motor as a rudder when not running the motor.
Luke

-previously-
Fathom
Investigator sail #82