Hinchinbrook Island, North Qld

General Sailing Talk
Andrew
Investigator Boat Name: Teria

Hinchinbrook Island, North Qld

Post by Andrew »

Hey Everyone,

Hope the festive season is going reasonably well. Monsoon rains just started up north here on xmas eve, so finally some time to update the blog on 5 day cruise around Hinchinbrook Island in Sept. An amazing place to sail, but also needs good prep and motor as it's a fairly large wilderness area. About 120 km's to get right around it by sea, so it wasn't without some initial trepidation. Weather conditions were perfect, (thanks to those great weather forecasting apps out there) and learnt a bit more about the cruising game. Had to motor about 60-70 km but the Tohatsu sailpro 6 sipped fuel, still had some left in the 12 litre tank!) These Investigators make great pocket-cruisers,

the link gets all the Teria posts on the trip , plus a late 90's first foray in my Harltey 16. (The last day is whats comes up first, Scroll down to get the starting day and earlier)

Cheers

http://teria563.blogspot.com/search/lab ... k%20Island
Attachments
20200927_154648 Gayundah ck 2.jpg
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Peter T
Investigator Boat Name: Sail- La- Vie

Re: Hinchinbrook Island, North Qld

Post by Peter T »

Wow Andrew, what a fabulous time you must have had. Thanks for the fascinating report.
Just Brilliant.
Cheers
Peter T
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Topaz Bill
Investigator Boat Name: Secret Chord

Post by Topaz Bill »

I wouldn't even go for a day sail Andrew without my Autohelm. I use mine continuously when motoring, and as conditions permit when sailing.

Hinchinbrook sure is a great place to cruise, an abundance of great anchorages and fairly predictable weather.

I hope we catch up for a coffee one day. Regards, Bill
snoopebj

Post by snoopebj »

Many thanks Andrew for a great adventure very well documented.
Hinchinbrook and surrounds totally foreign country to me. Great to see the scenery especially from an Investigator.
Spurs us all on to document our trips in 2021 especially the critics who hardly ever sail out of their driveways.😜
Great work
Fair winds and following seas

Emrys
Investigator #166 'Current Affair'
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Thanks for the encouragement, hope to keep documenting new cruising grounds (and ramps) next year. But probably won't go out again until monsoon weather improves, about March/April. (Have been out in January before, it was sweltering by day but ok at night)..got a few home projects to do too. and the backyards so boggy now, my neighbours backyard lake is trickling over here, must get around to deco driveway where the boats kept too...

Thought I'd throw in my navigation "fun", so others don't do as i did! Got the compass for xmas to fit up soon.
Still dreaming of a tiller-pilot, it must make it much easier,..(but spending up on lawnmowers lately, the grass is going ballistic, and the 29 yo victa finally won't start..the mrs is now adamant about a new driveway and gate too,.. ;)

That's a good idea for leftover 2 stroke fuel, still got some left in the old johnson tank. and hope the video cam experiments come to fruition, might go there one day..
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Topaz Bill wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:54 pm I wouldn't even go for a day sail Andrew without my Autohelm. I use mine continuously when motoring, and as conditions permit when sailing.

Hinchinbrook sure is a great place to cruise, an abundance of great anchorages and fairly predictable weather.

I hope we catch up for a coffee one day. Regards, Bill
Gday Bill, yes HBI a good cruising ground and your "front yard" too. :) it would be great to catch up some time in not too distant future and learn how to stay out of trouble out there, heh heh. Been busy here, so havent got round to shaping my second tiller to fit your ex rudder, many thanks for that. Its safely stored and will be a definite improvement to the old girl.
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

snoopebj wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:15 pm Many thanks Andrew for a great adventure very well documented.
Hinchinbrook and surrounds totally foreign country to me. Great to see the scenery especially from an Investigator.
Spurs us all on to document our trips in 2021 especially the critics who hardly ever sail out of their driveways.😜
Great work
Dont worry Emrys, it was almost foreign lands for me too.! and ive spent much more time in the driveway than sailing too, thats life

Though had launched at Dungeness a few times prior, most of the Island coast was new waters for me. Hope the blog info can help any other intrepid TSers that can get to this reletively remote location. (that's still easily accessible from highway 1) The google earth area function indicated i'd circled about 700 km2 of land and sea area, ! Its huge, and barely scratched the surface of all the potential gunkholes, bays, islets, beaches, reefs, forests etc up there.
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Topaz Bill
Investigator Boat Name: Secret Chord

Post by Topaz Bill »

I forgot to mention Andrew that a concern of mine with the Tohatsu Sail Pro is the propeller that doesn't have a shear pin. There must be a good reason for having the vulcanised hub, but I can't work out what it is. The steering friction damper was useless, but I managed fine with bungy cords to fine tune it.

As for me snowing you how to keep out of trouble, that is hilarious..😂

Sorry if I have mentioned any of the above in previous posts. I turned 71 today, so that is all the excuse that I need.

Happy New Year to all, have a huge 2021 and F**K 2020 and covid.
Peter T
Investigator Boat Name: Sail- La- Vie

Post by Peter T »

Happy Birthday Bill, I am only one year behind you mate. Cheers
Peter T
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Edsped
Investigator Boat Name: #90 Tikirri

Post by Edsped »

Thanks Andrew for the blog, I red the whole island adventure and it gives me more confidence in overnighting on my investigator :)

Gotta say I’m tempted to ditch the old 2 stroke for fuel and peace of mind reasons (she’s from ‘87 I think)