Cruising Helmsman bites the dust.

General Sailing Talk
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Cruising Helmsman bites the dust.

Post by Ozzie »

For those who may not know, the current issue of CH announced that January will be the last, plus an impassioned plea from the editor for some person to buy in to continue publication. Which I think is unlikely. Decades ago mrs Ozzie and I did a bunch of various WEA courses on writing together. By far the most interesting was “Writing for Publication “, essentially about how to get into the Aus magazine industry and how it all worked. Way back then we learned about seven magazines started up every year in Aus and about the same number folded. Many magazines were/are put together by husband and wife teams often in the spare room at home. Most relied on regular contributors and welcomed ring ins for well written stuff, particularly for good photos.

The funny/interesting thing is the hierarchy of payment. When a run of an issue is done the printer is obviously paid and after all the issues are sold the first cut goes to the publisher, distribution people etc. The newsagent only pays for what he sells. Hence the cutting off of the title of the front page which are sent back to the publisher as unsold stock and not paid for by the newsagent. The remaining money from the “sold” issues , if any, was divided up between the writers via some sort of system where regular writers were higher on the pecking order. This probably varies for bigger mags but our tutor, a former magazine editor said you would be surprised how many writers for big publications never saw a razoo.

Australians were the biggest users, per head of population, in the world for magazines but unfortunately the internet changed all that. Just like free news, free advice and hobby info, as on this forum, are posted multiple times a minute and payed publications have to come up with something special to compete with that. I usually buy a CH only if in going away for a few days but last Xmas daughter number one gave me an online subscription for Xmas. I like the cruising stories and ‘how to’ stuff but the bigger more expensive yacht articles are just too far out of my existence to be of use. It is a heck of a job to be all things to all sailors I suppose and they have done their best. YouTube has also made massive inroads into magazine popularity.

I did compose a few articles to submit for publication years ago but after second thoughts I was not interested in having the “happy folk” on certain sites tear my articles apart online. A few bits of those articles finished up as part of long posts on here for my fellow Investigators. I’ll dig out a few leftovers and post them over the break.

Anyway in the meantime if anyone’s children are rich and want to buy their parents their own sailing magazine to publish for Xmas here’s your big opportunity 8-)
Last edited by Ozzie on Mon May 22, 2023 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Possible misinterpretation of meaning
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Re: Cruising Helmsman bites the dust.

Post by Ozzie »

Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Andrew
Investigator Boat Name: Teria

Re: Cruising Helmsman bites the dust.

Post by Andrew »

Sad News,

i was an avid CH reader in years gone by. Subscribed in the 1990's and kept them all at my boat yard, good coffee break reading.

More recent times i could never find a copy for sale in any newsagent, they were regularly on the shelves 20 years ago .guess circulation mustve tapered off before the end. Looks like the nets taken all their ad revenue..
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria