Maximising room in small yachts

General Sailing Talk
snoopebj

Maximising room in small yachts

Post by snoopebj »

Following my passion (obsession?) for making use of every part of small yachts here’s a vid of a Canadian couple who fitted out a Westerly 22. Interesting to note they travelled the world in a large catamaran and finally opted for a 22ft yacht. Maybe the law of diminishing returns applies here?
Also interesting for those wanting to sail in a small yacht with a new born baby!! 🥺
Ozzie maybe?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_DKV4qe3X6o
Fair winds and following seas

Emrys
Investigator #166 'Current Affair'
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Re: Maximising room in small yachts

Post by Ozzie »

I love how in many of these live aboard couple videos there is nearly always a reference to the difficulty of getting away from each other. Many people have noted the effects of Covid confinement on happy couples. Nothing on people cooped up together in a dinkie boat for years at a time :lol:
CDD2AE1A-6138-4B3F-B6D5-DB4841EC3E9B.jpeg
If I told Mrs Ozzie about the new baby I’d say the effect would be the same as above :lol: :lol:
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
snoopebj

Post by snoopebj »

😂. Haha Ozzie in the dog house.
Totally agree David a mansion and a au paire maybe like L.A. rock stars.
We have a 3 year old baby (grand daughter) wonderful to have her over for a few hours and wonderful to hand her back.
Take her sailing errrr no. 😩

Emrys
Peter T
Investigator Boat Name: Sail- La- Vie

Post by Peter T »

Don't forget David that with the size of a yacht, any yacht that is 3 ft longer than another, the extra 3 ft is always in the middle. The front and cockpit is basically the same on all boats, so the extra 3 ft is always extra useable space only. The increase in size is really like an exponential increase . A little extra ends up a lot extra if you know what I mean. Mind you, this has nothing whatsoever to do with baby's, Ha Ha.
Regards Peter T
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Peter T

Post by Peter T »

Oh David, you are one funny man. You know what, I couldn't agree with you more. Ha Ha. It just might have something to do with the number of birthdays one has !
Peter
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

I had a friend with a Compass 29 years ago. There is/was also a Compass 28 model as well but he said the difference in the two boats was substantial, interior room wise. I took a potential new forum member out to look at Spritzig years ago and the first thing he remarked on was the interior space . He had a 17 footer of some sort. I think the 563 design is better for having no fixed galley and lots of light.

We are hanging out for grandchildren. Out daughters are both very clever girls and have been chasing careers for years but eldest one is now married and hopefully we’ll have some soon. We minded our niece and nephew for years when they were younger. Reminded us of our own parenting and the thing you love about little kids is the tremendous enthusiasm they have for life. Hope I’m not a silly old duffer by the time my grandkids are old enough to sail. Nearly there.
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
snoopebj

Post by snoopebj »

Keeping on the theme I have a multi-use collapsible table which I love. Tried many over the years and this one won. I found anything that is complicated we don’t use. Fits every part of the Investigator. Unfortunately no make but fleabay would have them.
Attachments
98345BCB-B9D2-4CF1-B3CF-A97579167C30.jpeg
2E096524-02B2-4FA5-AD5B-112B4AF6055E.jpeg
806C5BD3-4DCF-47CE-B136-C66E9FB5C7DB.jpeg
8AB47062-1C90-45F2-9881-D191BA44B373.jpeg
63483994-A6AC-4F6E-9D1F-5BFACCDC8311.jpeg

Emrys
Peter T

Post by Peter T »

I like the one in the last two photos. I think that everything would slide off all the others, Ha Ha
Merry Christmas
Peter T
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

Just reading the backlog of posts I missed. We have had one of those tables for years and as Emrys says they were almost designed to fit in an Investigator. We bought ours from Big W but I think Companion markets one similar through its retail outlets . If not ...

https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_fro ... 2573129547

Lots of sellers here.

They have the advantage of the [ shaped legs which means in the cockpit or the cabin you can set it up and slide your legs under it rather than try to slot them under/ around the four legs of a normal table in such confined spaces . I’m getting a little old for such contortions :roll:
0D280C51-9231-4216-BB4A-5F1D7735C56A.jpeg
0D280C51-9231-4216-BB4A-5F1D7735C56A.jpeg (69.9 KiB) Viewed 2616 times
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Peter T

Post by Peter T »

Hi Ozzie, I like the idea of the door. Did you fit that or was it there when you bought the boat ?

Regards Peter T
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114