Day trip to Pulbah Island

General Sailing Talk
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Day trip to Pulbah Island

Post by Ozzie »

In keeping with our new policy of minimum one sailing day per week, we sailed down to Pulbah Island on Wednesday. It is interesting to note that there are now three public moorings on the northern side of the island, two in the attached photo, were occupied and there is a third one in the middle.
DD6C62D9-D258-4704-BBAE-312E1FAB0B10.jpeg
I understand there are now also three on the west side. It is is amazing that we are finally getting some of this kind of infrastructure in LM, but it has taken years. There used to be a total of one public mooring, on the western side, in a Lake twice the size of Sydney Harbour. Do you wonder why I get annoyed at those who run the show. We have sailed around the island quite a bit over the years but I think it’s the first time in nearly a decade that I’ve set foot on it. It is worth a walk and has really recovered from the time many decades ago when camping was allowed and it was polluted with rubbish and human waste Now a designated National Park, camping is not allowed. It’s also a wildlife preserve and at one stage it had a caretaker I believe. The potted history is here about a third down the page

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Lake_Macqua ... uth_Wales)

We prefer to anchor on the Western side as you are protected from both the nor’easters and any southerlies that spring up at night. There is a rudimentary beach on the eastern side and some rougher cliffs and rocky areas to the south that provide some quite nice snorkelling. Be aware of course of the lakes new reputation as a shark locale. On the land there were some fairly healthy goannas last time I climbed to the top , so watch where you step.

Edit I have corrected my statement that LM is 5x the size of Sydney Harbour :shock: it’s only twice the size. That’s good enough :lol:
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Geoff
Investigator Boat Name: #50 Timeless

Re: Day trip to Pulbah Island

Post by Geoff »

Hey Ozzie,

Onya mate. I have implemented the same policy but having trouble committing. Relatives turn up etc...

Your lifelines - dyneema or rope? Size? Good thing? Thinking of swapping out my steelies.

Thanks
Geoff
Investigator #50 'Timeless'
Investigator #111 'Missy'

As the engineer said, "sure it works in practice, but will it work in theory?"
Peter T
Investigator Boat Name: Sail- La- Vie

Post by Peter T »

Very interesting read, thanks Ozzie

Regards Peter
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

Hi Geoff, yes dyneema at the top any way. Replaced them after 15 years during the haulout. Still need to do the bottoms. Main advice I read is that in an emergency, MOB, you can cut them with your deck knife . Other option is to have dyneema/ spectra loops at each end of the SS wire. The old ones were never tested :shock: thank goodness.

Funny story. You note the sheathing on the top line that makes them more comfortable to grip. The white plastic sheathing on the top line is the hosing of an Electrolux vacuum cleaner shampoo unit. About 30 years ago my next door neighbours moved out and gave me their shampoo attachment. I really did not want to keep it even though it fitted my old vacuum cleaner but the water tube looked like it might have been useful for something so I saved it. When I fitted the first set of lifelines to the boat I just used SS line as I had heard that the plastic wrapped SS line was often subject to rusting because of the crevice corrosion style breakdown of the SS. That’s what was on the boat when I bought it and it was stuffed. Anyway Mr cheapo here decides to sheave the new bare SS line with vacuum cleaner pipe and squirt fish oil into the tube as there was plenty of room. Supposed to be temporary. Now this has lasted for 15 years on a mooring and the SS line I removed was perfectly fine. So much so that I reterminated it into shorter lengths and it is now holding up the shade awning I put over my pool. True story. Now here is the amazing bit ....after 15 years the plastic tubing was still fine and flexible and it went back over the Dyneema hopefully to extend its life. I have no idea what formula that plastic tube is but it’s a bloody miracle LOL.

Size is 6mm.
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

I’ve always assumed the principal of the lifeline set up was to act like an arrestor line on an aircraft carrier, grab you on way over and collapse . Not stop you dead.
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

Thanks Ozzie. Yet another 'Ill hang on to that in case it comes in handy one day". Glad that one did. I have a 40 foot container full of them.

I took our old washing machine to the tip yesterday. In the metal section I found a few good gal offcuts, but also an aluminium crutch (as in broken leg). Pristine ally tubing and adjustable, so home it comes. Wife was horrified and son highly amused. I just though it was practical.

Anyway, thanks to you and David. I will be replacing my top lifeline soon with rope or dyneema.
Geoff

Geoff

Post by Geoff »

Yes I have pondered about effectiveness. I have seen pics of an Investigator with no lifelines. But even walking along the deck in very mild conditions they still give a whole heap of security. If you got pitched it is something to grab on the way through, and I would feel precarious without them. If conditions were lousy and you had to crawl to the foredeck you wouldn't want to be without them I reckon.
Geoff

Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

Good stuff Geoff. I have a good mast prop that hangs on the rudder pintles but I’ve always thought an adjustable crutch would make a good mast support.
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)