Bunks or Quad Rollers

Peter T
Investigator Boat Name: Sail- La- Vie

Bunks or Quad Rollers

Post by Peter T »

Hi all, I am trying to decide if I should use bunks or four sets of quad rollers on my new trailer. I would like to see a side on photo of a 563 on a trailer using the quads as well as any comments good or bad.
My concerns are :
1. Do the rear quads need to be lowered to launch and retrieve ?
2 the positioning of the quads fore and aft.
3. The thickness, or more importantly, the lack of thickness of the fibreglass and the amount of flexing of the hull using quads
Any input or photos greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Regards Peter T
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Raya
Investigator Boat Name: Tme Out

Re: Bunks or Quad Rollers

Post by Raya »

Peter,

As requested, here is a photo of my quad roller setup. I replaced the skids about five years ago and haven't noticed any ill affects on the hull. The way I have them set up, there is no weight on the rollers, they just prevent the hull from tipping when you walk around on the deck. The full weight of the hull is on the keel rollers. I don't need to adjust the rollers when I launch or retrieve the boat but I did need to adjust the brackets so that the quads didn't flop around too much when the boat was off the trailer.

Good sailing weather up here at the moment. Had around 20 knots last week and managed 7 knots on one down wind leg. Probably the fastest the boat has ever gone when it wasn't on the trailer.
Quad rollers
Quad rollers
Ray
Investigator #39
Peter T

Post by Peter T »

Hi Ray, thanks for the reply and photo. Those downward angled supports from the base of the quads back down towards the middle of the trailer, how are they attached to the trailer, are they just welded, bolted or what ? Also, do they prevent from adjusting the height of the rollers ?
Your rollers seem to be well under the boat where as my bunks seem to be more around the hull , ie up the sides of the boat a bit more. Would you mind taking a measurement between the side rails of your trailer for me. Your trailer may be narrower than mine ?
Thanks
Regards Peter T
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Raya
Investigator Boat Name: Tme Out

Post by Raya »

Peter,

The rails on my trailer are 920mm (3 feet) apart. Here are a couple more photos showing the attachment of the rollers.
Side roller
Side roller
wobble wheel bracketing
wobble wheel bracketing
Ray
Investigator #39
Peter T

Post by Peter T »

Thanks Ray, very helpful mate. Cheers
Peter T
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114