Smallest boat in the US Navy

General Sailing Talk
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Re: Smallest boat in the US Navy

Post by Ozzie »

Our philosophies are probably not that much different mate. I’ve been raging against the light since I was 33 when I was basically medically written off by a malignancy but I have almost doubled my lifespan since then so I have no real complaints. I would say mrs O and I think we’ve completed our bucket lists but I won’t because we don’t believe in them😬 “bucket lists” are probably a construct of retail entities trying to relieve you of your hard earned. In our 40 odd years together we have left a footprint in most of Aus and now I think 20 different countries last count , but old enough now to realise nobody really gives a toss where you’ve been, even your kids are not interested in your travel pics :cry: Bob Dylan once said in an an interview that if you get up in the morning and go to bed at night but in between you do what you want to do, that’s the definition of success.

I mentioned Webb Chiles mantra “Live passionately even if it kills you” and I agree wholeheartedly. But Webb, when he crossed the Pacific in an open boat never expected to get rescued if the manure hit the oscillating cooling device. I had a work college who took his young family (only he could sail) on long coastal voyage and bragged about how a passing rescue plane radioed him and tried to persuade him to turn back to his last close port due to a serious bad weather window he was sailing into. “Just ignored him... I want to make blah blah by Thursday “ :shock: And while he got there, it’s worth remembering that not only was he putting his own wife and kids in harms way , the dudes who come out to rescue him have a maybe three or four sets of wife and kids. Sadder but true story is my uncles neighbour spend three years building a yacht to do the same and were never heard of again. I was in fact shocked that Mr Confidence workmate above said this is was absolutely not uncommon back in the 70s, boats just never turning up or being heard of again and no one realises till months later. In fact a yachty couple he met on his travels were later reported in the cruising community as having not been locatable in NZ where they had headed six months earlier.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

I was just thinking as an after thought that probably doesn’t happen now because of EPIRBs and the like but the number of stories both here and OS about “adventurers “ pushing the button on the epirp because they ran out of ice for the Glenfiddich ...well. No issues with people who are well prepared and experienced like David or my mate doing the blue water delivery who strike genuine trouble but some people should stay at home. :lol:

Actually you’re post reminds me of an old bloke I used to go to the rehab gym I attended for my back issues. He was well in his 80s and still riding his Harley. He said he was hoping it would be the thing that took him out. Good on him. To each his own ;)
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Andrew
Investigator Boat Name: Teria

Post by Andrew »

Ha ha, amazing what a fat tugboat can generate!
I reckon the Investigators about the smallest boat in the cruising fleet up here , she's definitely good for the size and price.
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

Andrew wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:34 am
Ozzie, those Boomin' beaver tug boats are solid-as, have a draft of 5 feet!! must weigh a few tons too.
Quite so Andrew, amazing bit of kit actually. No matter where am in the world I always wind up at the dock or ocean looking at boats. Yeah, there’s lots of cars in the world, but often 10 million of the same model . Types of boats are almost infinite and I’m ever fascinated by them.

...still prefer our Investigator 8-)

Here’s an under view
9DEA6D06-D2FF-4941-80FF-7E3B55412C6E.jpeg
This one for sale on an Oz sight .Current bid is $33K Aus . There are 53 pics in ad and there’s an engine room ....downstairs!!!

https://www.ironplanet.com.au/for-sale/ ... planet.com

Apparently the navy ones have a big following on social media..go figure :roll: only going to prove there are lots of people far nuttier than I am about boats ..no it won’t entice me to join
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

https://www.quora.com/Why-is-a-submarin ... not-a-ship

Thought this an interesting link mainly because of the constant debate about what defines a boat from a ship. Forget the submarine bit :)
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)