Main traveller track locations?

Greg
Investigator Boat Name: Law and Disorder

Main traveller track locations?

Post by Greg »

I’ve currently got my boat pulled apart for a lick of paint and I’m ‘considering’ moving the main traveller track away from the top of the transom. It’s ok enough a location for sailing up wind but I’ve found the main sheet block fowls up the tiller whenever I gybe.

Has anyone got a boat setup with the traveller in the middle of the cockpit or any other setup that can offer feedback?
Greg
Investigator #10 - Law & Disorder
Sydney

https://www.facebook.com/lawanddisorder563/
https://www.instagram.com/sv_lawanddisorder/
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Re: Main traveller track locations?

Post by Ozzie »

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1076&p=5682&hilit=Traveller#p5682

This thread has a bit on the traveler Greg. I tend to agree with David on the clutter aspect. Performance is better with forward sheeting but I’m a comfort sailer and If I get home faster I’ll have to mow the footpath. No percentage in that.

To reduce the clutter aspect on Spritzig II we have a clip on rope bag that takes the excess main sheet with a big zip top opening that while at rest we can stuff the sheet in there and zip it up to the edge and it keeps it neat . You can usually keep most of it in the bag during sailing if on a long beat upwind .

OZZIE CHEAPSKATES TIP.
We got that bag new from the Salvos . It was some kind of promotions bag for a commercial enterprise. Medium weight cordura, has draw string straps at either end that we hook around the taffrail which avoided having to put clip studs on the transom. It even has a zip pocket on the outside that takes our folding binoculars and signal horn, so keeps them both at your fingertips .$5 :).

If members want bags for the boat check out the salvos in particular. My local branch often has donated leftovers of bags from commercial enterprises that have done trade shows. Our sailing bags were terrific duffel bags with, Velcro key pockets, zip up tops and shoulder straps and handles in blue and yellow that looked much better than the expensive commercial bags that were at Bias at the time. They were leftovers obviously from the tradeshow for some printing firm and were brand-new, once again five dollars each sprayed out the printer name with vinyl spray and put boat name there. They have lasted us since we bought the boat and have only just finally worn out with zippers corroded. Tip is, if you want rope bags, halyard bags to hang on the bulkhead, sailing bags or any of that stuff give the Salvos or similar outlets a go go you may be totally surprised what you will find brand-new for peanuts
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)