New Trailer

Peter T
Investigator Boat Name: Sail- La- Vie

Re: New Trailer

Post by Peter T »

Yes David, As it turned out, I fitted the bracket to the solid axle that holds the disc brake and there was plenty of clearance. What I didn't check was when the hub was turned. I must have set it up on a low spot on the drum. You wouldn't think that there would be a low or a high spot on a drum that turns a wheel. I guess though it is a cast item and only machined where the disc is and where the wheel studs are mounted in the hub as well as for the bearings. I will know for next time, but there won't be a next time for me I reckon.
You are never too old to learn as they say.

Regards Peter T
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

Great outcome on the trailer Peter given how strong you’ve made it. I’ve never weighed mine empty, but it might be interesting.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Peter T

Post by Peter T »

Yes Ozzie, I sort of remember reading somewhere that a standard Investigator trailer weighed in at around 300 kg ? But I might be dreaming , can't find it again. I was certainly pleasantly surprised at what it came in as. I was really lucky with the weigh bridge , it is at the local quarry. They do not issue certificates, but do not charge either. They just give you a " sticky note " With the weight written on it. Our local registration inspector accepts the weight given provided you take a photo of the digital display, so it's really handy. When the trailer is registered, galvanised and all put back together with all its bits and pieces, I will weigh it again, then load the boat and include sails, mast boom rudder etc and Then weigh it once more, but that might be in a while, much to do in the mean time.
Regards Peter T
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Peter T

Post by Peter T »

Work progressing nicely, Have made and installed tie down racks on top edge of main frame and Have re-designed and built a new winch post. The old one , as well as being built with a sideways angle in it, had the winch on a ridiculous angle which would not work with the webbing of the new one as the webbing would scrape on the top edge of the post. New one has winch mounted flat and will work a lot better. Also, the new winch is wider than the other one so I had to design the upper arms to the roller to actually go wider to get round the winch and then narrow down to the roller width. Took quite a lot of buggering around to get it right. I have started working on the tow bar extension. Need a bit more steel, will get tomorrow. Have about 3 hours of work left to do on that and then I will be ready for registration. I will post a photo or two tomorrow to show you all how it’s turned out. I am unsure how to manage all the 16 mm nuts I have built into the trailer. I used galvanised nuts but when welding them in to the various places ( 34 in total) , the galvanising burnt off some of them. A galvanised nut is made using a larger tap to thread them so that when galvanised they end up the correct size to fit the galvanised bolt. Same applies to the bolts. You can run a 16 mm tap through a 16 mm nut and take quite a bit of metal out. Same applies to the bolts if you use a die nut on them. So, do I leave the threads of the nuts clear to be double galvanised and then tap them out, risking cutting through to the steel and so cause rust to develop ? Or do I fill the nuts with silicone to mask them from more galvanised ? If I do this and I have burnt through some of the existing galvanised, does this also cause rust to start in the threads? Don’t know which way I should go. Any ideas would be welcome.
Cheers for now, feed back welcome.

Regards Peter T
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

Peter T

Post by Peter T »

Thanks David, where would I get some of that stuff, sounds great mate. By the way, the extension tow bar gives me 1500 extra.

Cheers, Peter T
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

Peter T

Post by Peter T »

Don't worry David, found it on eBay and have it ordered. Thanks again,
Cheers
Peter
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

Peter T

Post by Peter T »

here are a few pics of trailer ready to take to registration inspection tomorrow. Then dismantle and have it to the galvanisers by Friday so I can get it back before Christmas.
Showing without draw bar extension extended. Note how it lays against the angled side rail out of the way.
NTF1.JPG
With Draw bar extended
NTF2.JPG
Difference between extended and not extended is either 1300mm or 1500mm depending on how it is set up. I have drilled holes for both settings.
NTF3.JPG
Showing new winch post with draw bar extended. Note nothing interfering with the strap when winch used. Had to cut away a small area to get the winch handle to fit.
NTF5.JPG
Showing adjustable Keel rollers as well as centralising spring loaded rear rollers. They flatten with the shape of the hull. Bunks to be replaced at a later date.
NTF6.JPG
Shows pivot pin and locking pin, made from 20mm round bar using "R"clips to hold them in place
NTF10.JPG
I use the same locking pin to hold the extension in the "home "position. There is enough up an down movement in the pivot pin to allow you to lift the extension draw bar into its home locator
NTF11.JPG
Showing extension draw bar locked in home position. Note it does not protrude out past the outside edge of the mudguard
NTF13.JPG
Regards Peter T
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

Peter T

Post by Peter T »

Well, today started out terrible and ended up ok. Took trailer for it's rego inspection and the first thing they said was " you won't be able to register this, it does not comply as far as the lights are concerned ! "
My heart sank and we discussed it at great length but hevwouldnt budge. Apparently, now in Tas, you can not use a " light bar " on a trailer. You must hard fix and wire the lights on the trailer no more than 400 mm from the back of the trailer. This means that you can't mount the lights on the back of the mudguards either. Also needed a number plate light. In the end, I said that I would walk around the corner to a place and purchased a number plate light to fit. I explained that the back of the trailer is around 2 metres from the back of the boat so these lights will not be seen in any case. Also that on the first launching, the lights would then become inoperable due to them going under salt water. When I returned with the number plate light and he saw that I was serious about fixing it, he changed his mind and said that he knew what I would do in any case so he passed it as it was and told me to fix it. I AGREED OF COURSE.
So, I now have my compliance plate and chassis number stamped in to the frame and , although I had 1900kg springs, he rated the trailer GVM at 1700 kg as the light truck tyres were rated at 850kg each. He accepted the photo of the weigh bridge digital display at 300 kg TAR, so I have 1400 kg that I can load on to the trailer. This should be around perfect I would think. All in all, I would call this a successful day.

Now, in relation to the galvanizing, I spoke with Galvaline in Launceston and they advised that their preparation process would remove any galv from The Drhreads of the nuts, so when they then galv the trailer, the nuts will end up galvanised again and the threads will be as they were with when I bought the nuts, so that's great news

Regards Peter
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

Peter T

Post by Peter T »

Yes David, you are so correct. It actually wasn't transport Tas, but I guess it was them who have stipulated to all the inspectors the new rules. Not sure about those who already light bars though but I suspect nothing will happen. The Trailer will never be towed without the boat on it as far as I can see, so I think it completely ridiculous. If the lights were fixed towards the rear of the trailer on the side rails, ( where they said to mount them ) they would not be seen from behind when the boat was on the trailer in any case. At least with a light bar mounted to the back of the boat, the lights will be seen by following traffic and it will be safe as well. Another case of idiots who drive desks knowing best I suppose.
I was always going to use that thread stuff once you told me about it and most certainly will. I have already dismantled the trailer and have the flat tray transport trailer here ready to load it up tomorrow and I will take it to Launceston on Thursday. I have just come back inside from the shed having smothered silicone heavily over the stub axle and filled the disc brake mounting holes. I wanted to give the silicone as much time as possible to set as much as possible. I have it on very thick so it might take a while to set ? so , am well on track now. Looking like it will really happen now and I should have it back before Christmas.
Cheers,
Peter T
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

Peter T

Post by Peter T »

Managed to get trailer loaded up by 0930 this morning so decided to head off to the galvanisers in Launceston today instead of tomorrow. Will have it back in between 1 and 2 weeks they said. Happy ? Think so. Cost will be between $400 and $800 depending on the weight of galv they use. Not bad.

Regards Peter T
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114