no way

Re: Stoves

Post by no way »

A bargain
Andrew
Investigator Boat Name: Teria

Post by Andrew »

Have done a bit of brekky cooking ashore to compare my HPV Salsa and Bonetti Can2001 meths stoves,

Recently figured out how to light the "hard to start" Bonetti (it had no lighting instructions). First top up the fuel pan so its wool is saturated. Then the burner needs "pre-heating".

Discovered a Pre-heating technique: just crack the top lid up about 20-25mm, open the burner lever, and light wool pan underneath. This gives it plenty of air/oxygen to burn and warm up the burner for 1 minute or so (Kind of opposite to "choke" on an outboard) (frypan with oil preheating too). Then close the burner lever (so the top lid can close), open burner lever and re-light.

Once going the 2kw output is twice that of the HPV's 1kw. (and similar to Origo 1500) Only needed it on low heat (~0.5kw) to quickly cook fried brekky.

The HPV is far easier to light up and ~0.5kw is well within its heat range. It can take temporary tilting fairly well while alight, like when a boat wake rocks the boat. Probably because of the wick in the generator tube regulating pressure/flow. Also no fuel comes out the filler breather hole when rocking the stove while lit. :)

so now tempted to test both the HPV and Bonetti out afloat
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

At a very infrequent visit to Costco I came across this stuff. The gel burner tins that equate to Sterno, mentioned earlier. $15.99 for 12 x 3 hour packs.

Certainly would remove the spill/ fill issue inherent in metho burners. Other than that I know nothing about it other than it’s popularity in the States. It would certainly work well in the modified gas stove design with the gas burners removed and a suitable holder put in I’d say. Costco do mail order but you need to be a member.
5B6C87D9-EA2B-4759-9B75-D70D67588B7E.jpeg
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

Chanced on this on gummy today. A little big for a 563 but posted for interest. Cheap enough if your a fan of cooking on board , even has oven and remote fuel (kero) tank .
D6AF65AF-6B03-4DC4-8E10-906BC793FCC0.jpeg
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/merewet ... 1299110419
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Looks like a good stove Ozzie, thanks for posting it. might fit in my steel hull. He's ok with my offer, and we are arranging a sale/transport

This stove came off a yacht he bought after it had circumnavigated world for 6 years. He's refitting boat with a smaller double burner, so this is surplus and has sat in shed for 10 years, but fired up again ok. Runs old style primus burners and there's spares.

They were made in Brisbane and were popular on cattle stations in the 1980's end of era of kero lamps , kero fridges etc (before electricity took over).
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

Hi Andrew, I’ve sent you a reply re your PM . Sorry I missed the earlier ones. :oops:
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Watto
Investigator Boat Name: Ex - Fathom #82

Post by Watto »

So the keel boat I recently got had a maxie 2 burner metho stove. Previous owner has never used since “2008” when he acquired the boat.

After spending Saturday night aboard I unbolted it from the gimble and took it home to give it a good going over.

After freeing the hand valves and the fuel cap managed to get it running. I’m actually truely amazed of the simplicity of the setup.

Now to give it a good clean up and a light polish.

Buying a neglected boat the job list seems long, but this one got results much easier than thought.
Attachments
39A9743D-677D-4230-9547-5F6D544ACEC9.jpeg
Luke

-previously-
Fathom
Investigator sail #82
Peter T
Investigator Boat Name: Sail- La- Vie

Post by Peter T »

Yes Luke, these are a great little stove. I managed to pick one up 2nd hand a few weeks ago for $100. If anyone has a couple of spare metal knobs for the fiddles for one of these, I would be most interested. Cheers
20221205_122152.jpg
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Good stove Luke, i had one on my liveaboard keeler years ago and it worked well.

BTW Found out where the Nova1 and 2 metho stoves originate from. Cleancook is a swedish based company and manufacture in Africa, to clean up cooking in the developing world. Metho is a clean renewable fuel.

https://cleancook.com/productsstove-sales/

i found the link at the end of this thread on TSS
https://trailersailerplace.com.au/phpBB ... e&start=25
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria