Stoves

General Sailing Talk
Andrew
Investigator Boat Name: Teria

Re: Stoves

Post by Andrew »

Ozzie wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:41 pm Both your Bonetti and the German stove are improvements on my single Maxi Andrew . The high mounted Maxi tank makes even the single bulky to store. My old double took up half the v berth which is why a sold it.

I keep mine in a plastic container as it stops the oxidation of the chrome and steel bits and that is quite big to accommodate it. I pack cooking stuff and tea and coffee around it so as not to waste the storage space but an ideal stove would fit in the depression under the quarter berth, which is where my Aldi nesting pots/kettle go. The Salsa looks like it would fit there. At that price it’s cheaper than buying a replacement burner for the Maxi. If the burner eventually goes I’ll get one.
That's a major point Ozzie,

Low profile and height is imporant for an Investigator slide out galley, the Salsa may even be lower than the Bonnetti. Certainly far cheaper at $125 to your doorstep. Also the 2 burner salsa (named Mambo) may also fit as a slide out bunk galley (for the serious a la carte sea chefs) They output 1kw per burner, (like a Trangia) so boil times a bit more, they do gassify the fuel which is good and efficient.

Re height limitations. Just looked at IanBs Origo slideout galley pic. There is no room below it, so the stove would have to be stored elsewhere and drpped in once galley bench is out (if bunk use required)

Anyway i just paid for a salsa stove, it should arrive in a week. It looks like brilliant German engineering and factory is in germany. (The last one, i hope that it never closes production..but we know the trends, buying one will support it) will let y'all know how it goes.

Guess im a stove collector now, just interested in how they all work and perform. also into outback off grid camping (to do with work)

That Bremer sea stove looks like a masterpiece! He didnt mention the price...

(ps. Hey if anyone wants to part with a maxi in future, i would always have my hand up to buy. so pm me pls.They are of nostalgic and future value to me, as i used one on my '88 east coast sail and it would fit into my wylo)

(know the spare part vs new dilema too ozzie. My 10Yr old MSR shellite mountaineers stoves pump unit leaked and burnt, my bad, costs $80 to replace..The entire coleman 533 Guide shellite stove cost $91 (huge discount now,) so went with that instead. )
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Geoff
Investigator Boat Name: #50 Timeless

Post by Geoff »

Hi Andrew,

Re the slide out stove table that Ian built - There is enough room to slide your legs under, you could sleep on your back if you didn't move. :)

I have unscrewed the Origo so it just sits in there now, which is fine, it wouldn't move unless there was a full rollover. So it is easy to pop out and sit in the forepeak with all the other storage bits when sleeping.

I do think I can make the slide out 2 stage so it can go under a fair bit further and then it could stay in. The problem atm is that it sits above your knees which limits movement. Above the shins would be ok.
Geoff
Investigator #50 'Timeless'
Investigator #111 'Missy'

As the engineer said, "sure it works in practice, but will it work in theory?"
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

montoman wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:37 am Hi Andrew,

Re the slide out stove table that Ian built - There is enough room to slide your legs under, you could sleep on your back if you didn't move. :)

I have unscrewed the Origo so it just sits in there now, which is fine, it wouldn't move unless there was a full rollover. So it is easy to pop out and sit in the forepeak with all the other storage bits when sleeping.

I do think I can make the slide out 2 stage so it can go under a fair bit further and then it could stay in. The problem atm is that it sits above your knees which limits movement. Above the shins would be ok.
Hi Geoff,

That sounds like a good idea, to slide the stove way back in over the feet area.

Perhaps a pair of those 2 stage camper-trailer style galley slide out rails would be long enough? sorry i'm thread drifting a bit, but Interested to hear if anyone else has tried a slide out galley. How are your slide rails rigged up? (Here's the link to "slide out Galley" to avoid thread drift) viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1137&p=6628&hilit=slide+out#p6628

Doubt an Investigator will ever get rolled or even knocked down in normal use so just sitting a stove in ok. Some sort of stove lock in toggles or pin fittings could be fitted for the rare conditions that could knock an investigator over (perhaps braving a river mouth bar on the Tasman sea coasts?)
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the link. Ian has routed rabbets into pine bearers attached to the wall and screwed drawer runners to the table the stove drops into. Using ally channel as in the pics on the other topic would let me make a 2 stage setup a lot easier and less bulky.

The origo itself is mounted in a gal box that drops into a hole cut in the table fairly neatly and hangs down as shows in Ian's pics. Cant come out without some assistance. Plus I will be doing most of my sailing in Hervey Bay, and probably not when there are northerlies!
Geoff

Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

If you can score an old twin kitchen tidy that slide out in a frame ( off council throw out) they have a nice light sliding frame would suit. Don’t ask how I know this. Mine is hidden till I get around to it😐
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

Copy that! :lol:
Geoff

Andrew

Post by Andrew »

These Trangia fuel bottles i use, are a safe way to store and handle stove fuel. Don't need a funnel, the press button spout is easy to fill alcohol burners.

They are made of very tough plastic and long lasting,(They can hold any fuel type, as well but i wont use them for shellite ever, too easy to mix up and pour wrong explosive fuel into the alcohol burner)

1 litre and 0.5 litre pictured.
Attachments
Trangia fuel bottles
Trangia fuel bottles
Last edited by Andrew on Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Bought a Trangia strap for my vintage stove (30 years late!) and confirmed its a "27" model (medium, 1-2 person)

There is also a larger Trangia 25 model (3-4 person)

Here's the full video comparing the two Trangia's
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckQQZYpsMTY
Attachments
Trangia 25 large and 27 medium sizes.
Trangia 25 large and 27 medium sizes.
Last edited by Andrew on Sat May 01, 2021 5:25 am, edited 5 times in total.
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

I've done some boil and took tests test on my Trangia 27. It takes sbout 7 mins to boil 0.5L..

Tried larger pots ontop, with a large 5-10cm gap from burner, It generates a yellow dirty flame allot of soot. The burners are designed to be about 1-2cm from the cookware where they burn clean blue.

Tried my Trangia mini too, it always has the correct flame gap. It works with any big pots and pans. (Though is an unstable size for boat) Maybe a wider custom burner holder?

The takeaway is i would just keep using my 27 as it is, a 100% reliable safe stove with in-built cookware. The mini good for big aftermarket frypans, but unstable size base.
Attachments
Trangia mini with large frypan
Trangia mini with large frypan
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Found a new marine stove. It's called The "Alcohol Pan 1500" stove.
It looks very much like the Dometic Origo 1500 that ceased production a few years ago.
Sold by Compass24.com . £179 sterling brand new plus freight from UK.
https://www.compass24.com/comfort/pantr ... l-pan-1500

They also sell the two burner version - "Spirit Cooker 3000". (Origo 3000 equivalent)
https://www.compass24.com/comfort/pantr ... r=208150_8

Was following a FB thread on "Dinghy Cruising NZ" about Butane canister stoves aboard causing grief. It soon went to safe solutions, then in a Trangia vs Origo spirited discussion, :) the existence of the AP 1500 was revealed by Roger Barnes.
(Also one guys old Coleman 533 was lit in a leaky state, caught fire badly and ended up in Davey Jones' locker..)
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria