Stoves

General Sailing Talk
Andrew
Investigator Boat Name: Teria

Re: Stoves

Post by Andrew »

The gas stove looks very convenient David, they attach to aft rails (eg Margarita style)

Just spotted an idea for a 2 burner metho stove. Use an old 2 burner stove body, replace old burners with trangia burners.
Old 2 burner stove with new trangia burners
Old 2 burner stove with new trangia burners
The same could be done for an old single burner stove..

Trangia burners are simple and readily available. The only downsides are the meths could spill out (but if the stove had a catch tray ok,) and the rate of burn is a bit harder to control
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

Andrew that’s a brilliant find. And repurposed gas stove as well . Win win. You can put mesh or like wool ceiling bat material in the meths cup I believe to make it more spill proof like these commercial stoves

https://www.bonetticampers.com.au/acces ... ner-stove/

Or I think there may be some metho style burning medium that’s a non spill bell.

BBQ also looks great [Name deleted as user no longer registered] An absolute bargain at that price.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Ozzie wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:57 pm Andrew that’s a brilliant find. And repurposed gas stove as well . Win win. You can put mesh or like wool ceiling bat material in the meths cup I believe to make it more spill proof like these commercial stoves

https://www.bonetticampers.com.au/acces ... ner-stove/

Or I think there may be some metho style burning medium that’s a non spill bell.
Thats an idea ozzie, must test fibreglass batts or other non flamable mesh etc in the Trangia burner cup.

The Bonetti would be nice, and fit into a custom slide out cabin galley. and it would need ajustable fiddle rods to stop pots and pans sliding off..

Allot of ingenuity required to design and build a safe mini galley.
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

That should have said gel not bell but this is the stuff I’m talking about
https://www.amazon.com/Sterno-Canned-He ... B00504ASOE

Sterno is mentioned on USA sites a lot and I assume it’s available in Oz. Well it’s on amazon anyway. Comes in cans but I think it could be decanted into trangia style burners.

Sister in law and her husband were touring USA years ago, backpacking with a Trangia and kept asking for Methylated Spirits in stores. Got no response or metho as they call it denatured alcohol over there. They didn’t realise till they got home. Must have been cooking their 3 minute noodles over a candle or something :lol:
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
snoopebj

Post by snoopebj »

Good stove ideas here fellas.
The Bonitto and canned heat (great band) could be a solution. Also the gas bbq on the stern rail a good option.
I guess it’s horses for courses. We all use stoves differently. I try to avoid cooking aboard on extended trips. We freeze curries pasta meals burgers etc and store in our ice box and reheat on our stove and just add salads and bread. If a practical economic small 12v microwave was available it would be perfect for me.
My previous experience with metho stoves on hire yachts with friends pretty bad. I hate the fact you can’t see metho burning and your whole galley can be alight with no warning. Also in a tiny space as in our boat messing around with fuels increases chances of accidents.
Interestingly they banned butane “explodo” stoves completely a while ago then re-introduced them later with improvements.
I bought one and found exactly the same stove. The improvement was a safety warning with a maximum pot size template gauge. People were using large pots and pans which spreads the flame and heat to the butane cartridge and ......................💥Kaboom goodbye cruel world.
Also the camping shop salesman told me of stoves returned with broken safety lever mechanisms. People were whacking cartridges into their stoves without alligning it with the safety slot then forcing the lever down and breaking the mechanism. The ones who returned their broken stoves were the lucky ones.
The others re- used their stove with the broken safety lever and........
Yep. 💥Kaboom goodbye cruel world.
Fair winds and following seas

Emrys
Investigator #166 'Current Affair'
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

snoopebj wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:41 am Good stove ideas here fellas.
The Bonitto and canned heat (great band) could be a solution.
Ha ha Emrys I was a fan of Canned Heat too. I never connected the name with a product but looked it up on Wikipedia after I read your post and...

“It was launched by two blues enthusiasts Alan Wilson and Bob Hite, who took the name from Tommy Johnson's 1928 "Canned Heat Blues", a song about an alcoholic who had desperately turned to drinking Sterno, generically called "canned heat", from the original 1914 product name Sterno Canned Heat,[1]”

Der... :lol:

I did a short stint as bassist in a band called “Bad Bax” because the lead singer and blues harp player was a chiropractor. It was formed for a charity gig and I so wanted to do “On the Road Again “ but it never happened. Raised some dough and had some fun but have still never ever played a Canned Heat number live. Next life maybe :shock:
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

Canned Heat Blues (where the Band name came from)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3644VwN_GcU

Sheesh ...not a cheery song :shock:
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
snoopebj

Post by snoopebj »

Of course its grim Ozzie it’s the Blues. They didnt have much to be happy about and still don’t. No wonder they turned to Sterno. Interesting bit of blues history there mate. Love the way we start on a subject and end up on a different planet. Part of the fun of starting a topic is to see where it leads.
I notice on other (stuffy) websites people get a stern off topic warning from members or admin.I think it’s part of the fun.
Keep posting guys.
Fair winds and following seas

Emrys
Investigator #166 'Current Affair'
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

:lol: So true Emrys. Some of our longer posts on here are hijacked threads. :lol:

Yes, blues were born from tragedy but they can be happy. This was a another song from Bad Bax’s set list.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eD9RCF3wZKc

Quite happy blues , the singer is even smiling :) Bass player in this band is awesome. Always comes up with something slightly different in their stuff. I’ve always loved playing blues in bands, particularly blues bass but funnily enough I’ve always considered blues playing slightly self indulgent. Band enjoying it more than the audience. Never been to a blues festival, I don’t think I could listen to three days of blues without going nuts. :lol: Or worse than I am. I played in generic Newcastle pub bands . Good mix of blues, rock and country. And just enough jazz to pretend we could play it (Van Morrison) The fact it sent me deaf is probably why I love the peace and quiet of sailing so much ........see, there was a boating connection here :P

PS I’ve sent you a PM ....no musical links I promise!
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Ozzie wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:16 am :lol: So true Emrys. Some of our longer posts on here are hijacked threads. :lol:

Yes, blues were born from tragedy but they can be happy. This was a another song from Bad Bax’s set list.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eD9RCF3wZKc

Quite happy blues , the singer is even smiling :) Bass player in this band is awesome. Always comes up with something slightly different in their stuff. I’ve always loved playing blues in bands, particularly blues bass but funnily enough I’ve always considered blues playing slightly self indulgent. Band enjoying it more than the audience. Never been to a blues festival, I don’t think I could listen to three days of blues without going nuts. :lol: Or worse than I am. I played in generic Newcastle pub bands . Good mix of blues, rock and country. And just enough jazz to pretend we could play it (Van Morrison) The fact it sent me deaf is probably why I love the peace and quiet of sailing so much ........see, there was a boating connection
Bondi Cigars a great blues band Ozzie, will add them to the playlist. Nothing like a cheery blues riff while sailing along. It's good fodder for a new thread,
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria