Steering (Magnetic) Compass

Peter T
Investigator Boat Name: Sail- La- Vie

Re: Steering (Magnetic) Compass

Post by Peter T »

Found this info for setting up a Silva P70 compass. I reckon I might go this way as it has compensation and deviation adjustments. Hard to read instructions but might be helpful. Sells for around $124 plus $29 if the illumination kit is required. On my boat it would go nicely on the port side bulkhead beside the companion way which is well away fron the electrical panel and wiring and is has an easy to read 70mm card and easy to read from either sitting or standing helm positions.

Screenshot_20230211_214641_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
Screenshot_20230211_214641_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
Screenshot_20230218_223624_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20230218_224649_Chrome.jpg
Last edited by Peter T on Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:53 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Andrew
Investigator Boat Name: Teria

Post by Andrew »

Had a look at the "Azimuth 200" at Road Tech Marine, it might be an acceptable budget option ($30)

It has a 65mm card and 12v night light with wires. Tilted it about 20-25 degrees and the card still swung ok. It has compensators. Can be read side or top.

Though mounting it could be bit tricky on I563, and maybe an extra swivel could be devised to relevel it when heeled over.
Looking back to the dim past, this is similar to my Hartley16's compass. The hatch had a deeper deck coaming (about 100mm, so it was mounted there, with the braket on its side, the I563's hatch coaming is much thinner about 40mm so it wouldnt fit there)

https://www.roadtechmarine.com.au/compa ... uAEALw_wcB

Attachments
Azimuth 200 compass RTM
Azimuth 200 compass RTM
Azimuth 200 RTM 2023-02-18 131416.jpg (19.22 KiB) Viewed 2447 times
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Peter T

Post by Peter T »

Hi Andrew, yes that looks a reasonable and cost effective solution. I love that it is adjustable for interference and the red lighting, but will have to check it out as far as the amount of effective gimble it has. Can't imagine it would be too difficult to make up an effective gimble to mount it on in any case ? Thanks.
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

The RTM compasses probably cater to power boaters mostly, so dashboard mounted gimball design. (not for too much roll/heeling over).
Maybe it could go on a "swing arm" into companionway (like some GPS chat plotters do) with a "heeling pivot"? or sit in a recessed box in the bulkhead, with heeling pivot? :?: have to be a bit inventive to adapt it's gimball mounting for sailing.
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Watto wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:53 pm Thanks Andrew.

I’ve been wanting to fit a compas to my boat and was wading through all that is available. I think the Silva looks the goods.

How does the illumination kit work? Is that installed to the inside of the outside. Couldn’t see it in the manual.
sorry missed your post Watto,
Here are some pics how the light kit fits on the compass. I havent fitted it yet. It just sits on top of compass globe glass and 2 screws hold it on, drilled a small hole at top to put the 12v wire through bulkhead.
20230219_110233 silva70p light kit positioned crop.jpg
The only thing with the silva light kit is you loose the top view (standing up) reading feature.
NB: the $30 RTM powerboat compass i looked at has the light integrated already and it doesn't block top down view like the silva does.
20230219_110239 Silva70p crop.jpg
20230219_110251 silva70p light kit crop.jpg
In the 3rd pic - I've embedded the LED light in silicone, underneath a clear plastic (from a bottle)
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Peter T

Post by Peter T »

Also, it is possible to buy a full cover to put on the Silva but it would not fit if the shroud was used
Screenshot_20230218_230312_Chrome.jpg
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Have got the red led light kit installed at last and it illuminates the compass well at night.

The kit has very light wires so took a bit of soldering to join them to the heavier but thinnest 12v automotive twin wires i could find. Also revived my 3 gang pre-built fuse/switch panel by sawing through the wood front so it could be tipped open and accesed (no idea how it was set up like that) that's one good thing though individual Investigators all get their customised character add on's over the years.

The "spagetti mess" was sorted and the compass light went on the unused middle switch, (with a low amp glass fuse). I'm not suggesting anyone wires it up like this, just got the existing stuff going. Better to have a proper fuse box front (eg 4mm ply) and 4-6 gang switch panel. I did look at these but didnt want to rebuild the entire front my electrical box just yet.
Attachments
3 gang fuse switch box Teria resize 20230521_174112.jpg
Teria silva70p redLED nightlight position 20230522_182951.jpg
Teria compass redLED night Silva70p 20230522_182248.jpg
3gang switch fuse box opened resize 20230521_174015.jpg
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Peter T

Post by Peter T »

Very nice Andrew.I bet it's easy to read at night
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

Andrew

Post by Andrew »

It's clearer than the photos show, so should be able to stay on course after dark. Helps stay away from dangers if running a bit late when heading for an anchorage or home ramp.
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

Looks champion Andrew. You can never have too many safety “extras” on a boat. Too much can happen too quick, especially at night. I mentioned on here once, I think, we stopped to refuel at night and headed off in the direction we’d just come from. Hilarious at the time but it would have been an issue if we’d been trying to escape bad weather. Fitted compass then even though I know my sailing ground back to front, night lights can confuse you very easily.

Don’t feel bad about the wiring. When I bought my old Swiftcraft it had the most tangled labyrinth of wires imaginable. Mainly from being added onto multiple times before I bought it. Never failed but always looked a right mess. Spritzig II had most of the wiring siliconed to the bulkhead in fairly neat runs so hasn’t caused problems.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)