Fish finders

Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Re: Fish finders 2020

Post by Ozzie »

Peter T wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 12:19 pm but I don't like too many holes in my boats. Cheers
Totally agree Peter and good tip on the olive oil.

I was researching a bit on gps after reading this thread and remembering the stuff I’d read years ago on its vulnerability. Blow me down if this didn’t turn up

https://www.nextgov.com/ideas/2021/05/r ... ca/174029/

Technology :o we come to rely on it far too much. My live aboard friend always mentioned he has sextant, charts and old fashioned nav gear and knows exactly how to use it. The number of cashed up people who go cruising with no skills other than how to push buttons is growing.

I remember a day when the office computers got a crippling virus and people running around in panic waiting for IT to develop and apply a patch. No records, no email, no CADD. I just got out my pencil :lol:

Not knocking technology, I love it.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Peter T
Investigator Boat Name: Sail- La- Vie

Post by Peter T »

Hi all, I just purchased a Garmin echomap 45CV on special at Bias for$399. Good value. Can't wait to see how I might mount that transducer, but off to Qld next week for 5 weeks, so a bit of a wait to see it I reckon
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Andrew
Investigator Boat Name: Teria

Post by Andrew »

Peter T wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 6:53 pm Hi all, I just purchased a Garmin echomap 45CV on special at Bias for$399. Good value. Can't wait to see how I might mount that transducer, but off to Qld next week for 5 weeks, so a bit of a wait to see it I reckon
Nice one Peter, They look like a good 2-in-one chart plotter/fishfinder. (That was a bargain, now they're up to $450)

Just reporting that finally got Teria in the water again after
"the pandemic" layup, and my Garmin striker fishfinder worked well, makes a big difference for sailing around unknown waters (along with my GPS chartplotter - handheld portable unit, also garmin). The bottom line gets "wavy", maybe enhanced by transom mount transducer and pitching motion. However the digital depth readout always stays steady. Transom mount does the job well enough (and still use the ever-reliable "lowered centerboard shallow water alarm/handbrake" too)

Garmin striker
Garmin striker
Attachments
Garmin Echomap 45cv
Garmin Echomap 45cv
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Peter T
Investigator Boat Name: Sail- La- Vie

Re: Fish finders

Post by Peter T »

Yes Awsome Andrew. Can't go wrong mate. Cheers
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."