Greetings From Topaz Bill

General Sailing Talk
Topaz Bill
Investigator Boat Name: Secret Chord

Greetings From Topaz Bill

Post by Topaz Bill »

Hello fellow enthusiasts. I'd like to introduce myself, Bill from Topaz on Atherton Tablelands near Cairns. I thank the administrators for managing such a great forum, the term "blog" seems to do it a disservice.
I purchased "Nipper", number 65 according to sail , and have renamed her "Secret Chord" (a tribute to Leonard Cohen). What a delightful and robust little vessel she is, the condition for her age is very good. She'll never be a showpiece, a bucket of water and a deck scrub is like a major refit.

We ( the yacht and myself), love the ocean, calm lakes and rivers are not our forte. We're at Maryborough now after three weeks cruising the Whitsundays, and plan to sail from there to Cairns. I was inspired to be adventurous after watching Simon Carter sailing on YouTube.
I don't seek to advise or suggest that anyone follows my example, I'll leave that to the more experienced and knowledgeable, but have made.

As mentioned in another topic, I hinged the poptop forward and it works really well. I made a stabiliser, one side only, using a dinghy anchor and fry pan (don't ever get caught making a stabiliser from one of your wife's Swedish non stick frypans ). Most of the "contents"are stored in Systems containers, they stack well and can be moved and accessed easily. Sometimes I sleep on the cabin sole, so need to be able to move stuff conveniently
Geoff
Investigator Boat Name: #50 Timeless

Re: Greetings From Topaz Bill

Post by Geoff »

Hi Bill,

My goal is to get over and sail Hervey Bay as much as possible.

Maryborough to Cairns sounds grouse. Can you keep us updated, either during or after?

Pics if possible!
Geoff
Investigator #50 'Timeless'
Investigator #111 'Missy'

As the engineer said, "sure it works in practice, but will it work in theory?"
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

Hi Bill , sounds like your really enjoying your boat, which is what they are for. Have you found any shortfalls with open water and the boat . The main points of concern have always been the hatches and cockpit drains . I have mine all well locked down but not sure how it would handle dumping waves. I think the hinged poptop is a good idea . Post a pic of the setup if you can .
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Topaz Bill

Post by Topaz Bill »

I'm happy to do YouTube videos if I can master the technology. I learnt quickly not to try and oversail, and try to err on the side of caution, and when in open water have my "escape"plan in mind should things deteriorate. The cockpit drains are inadequate, as are cleats and bollard, more jobs for when I get home.

I'm preparing my plan for the trip, stopovers and fuel supplies, conveniently printed tide tables, and try to be responsible. We do have fairly predictable weather in Qld. with the trades, although in Whitsundays last week it blew northerly for five days. What a gorgeous place , with many secure anchorages and gorgeous scenery, all within a couple of hours of Airlie should you wish to restock, or have a beer or two. My only disappointment was the total disregard with which the luxury level of boats disregarded the mooring time limits that apply in some locations, where anchoring is not permitted.

Happy sailing to my fellow enthusiasts.
Topaz Bill

Post by Topaz Bill »

After a day of frustration, I have managed to upload a couple of videos to YouTube. Unfortunately, only a portion of each uploaded. They aren't the type of video that Investigator enthusiasts will want to watch, but it's only practice.⛵
Topaz Bill

Post by Topaz Bill »

True David, I have relatives at Burnie so understand Tassie weather well. I recently spoke to a yachtie that had sailed from Brisbane to Cairns, and had spent one night at sea during this voyage, there being anchorage at Island, headland, river, marina etc. all the way. My longest leg will be from Island Head creek to West Percy Island, about 60nm.
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

Enough video to make us want to be there Bill. Great to see.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Topaz Bill

Post by Topaz Bill »

I feel the same David, good preparation makes for a relaxing trip. I was recently in open water near Hamilton Island, the wind recording 25 gusting to 35 knots on the beam, and I was perfectly comfortable and confident. I have travelled on a pearling lugger with 2.5 metre draught, and felt nowhere near as relaxed as I do on my Investigator. We get very comfortable in our lives, and can easily forget sea history like the voyage of Bligh, or the South Seas being discovered by people paddling hollowed out logs..

I'm aware of tidal flows in my planning, the area from Percy Islands to Broadsound can have tides as high as 9 metres, with corresponding tidal flows.
Topaz Bill

Post by Topaz Bill »

I'm having a great sail, having left Maryborough Marina on Monday. Went to west coast of Fraser Island for two nights, rain, cold strong winds. Sailed to Bundaberg and anchored in harbour (don't tell anyone), then headed off next morning for 1770. Still wind and rain, and unlike James Cook, I decided to spend four hours stuck on a sandbar just below his monument, he would have been so proud of me. There's only a pub at 1770, no shops, petrol or anything else, but very pretty. A shuttle bus took me to Agnes Waters, a three minute and thirty dollar drive away.
This morning I left 1770 for Pancake Creek, a few hours from Gladstone. It was blasting wind and rain all the way, and I loved every minute. With only jib up the big rollers we're lifting the stern and we flew along at a great rate. Coming in to Pancake Creek I could hardly make headway against the wind on the trusty Tohatsu. I'm a bit disappointed that I'm unable to go ashore and cross a small headland to see Jenny Lind creek, too windy, so sad.
Off to Gladstone tomorrow, I booked in to the marina for two nights, there is a strong wind warning for the next few days, so I'll clean body and boat and get ready for the next leg - inside Curtis Island then to Keppel Islands.
I couldn't be happier with my little Investigator, a new update in a few days. Regards, Bill
Geoff
Investigator Boat Name: #50 Timeless

Post by Geoff »

Hi Bill,

Great post, thanks. Feeling envy and tracking you on Google maps.

Looking forward to your next installment.
Geoff
Investigator #50 'Timeless'
Investigator #111 'Missy'

As the engineer said, "sure it works in practice, but will it work in theory?"