Sail Track Stop Do it yourself

Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Sail Track Stop Do it yourself

Post by Ozzie »

Reading David’s to do list reminded me about sorting out a main sail track stop to hold the slugs in place when lowering the main. Currently i have a small hole drilled through near the track bottom and I use a small R clip, usually SS which are hard to find, so after I lose it, then I start using mild steel, which rust AND then I lose either no matter where I safely clip it . I know there is a proper fitting with a knurled head bolt, but if you run a search through eBay the price for what’s essentially a knurled bolt with a bit of plastic is pretty bloody steep :shock:

....and I’ll lose it :oops:

So, to PBO forum...and viola.

CLICK TO ENLARGE
8D8D5836-C0DB-4346-A405-32950C6DC0E0.png
Aren’t people bloody clever ;)

Thanks Amulet. I’m pinching it too.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Re: Sail Track Stop Do it yourself

Post by Ozzie »

No worries David, but thank Practical Boat Owner forum. It really is a vast resource. Typical difference of opinions but as usual some elements of wisdom in all sides.

I had a similar experience at the council recycle shop at Salamander, Port Stephens a few years back got a spinnaker pole complete for $8 probably off some type of dingy but perfect to use as a whisker pole as it’s much shorter than my spinnaker pole. It was in with the golf clubs and I’m sure none of the volunteers had a clue what it was. Probably thought it was a ball retriever .

I don’t keep everything forever though. When I got the boat off the mooring in May I found my size 9 Blundstone boots I keep to launch and retrieve the boat. These are only 10 years old and worn out .... I dunno, where is the quality these days. I have reluctantly turfed them out :o :shock: :lol:
4A88CF8A-C2EE-4AB7-9289-A31C41B1AA9A.jpeg
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Geoff
Investigator Boat Name: #50 Timeless

Re: Sail Track Stop Do it yourself

Post by Geoff »

That's beaut Ozzie, I'm onto that too.

Thanks!
Geoff
Investigator #50 'Timeless'
Investigator #111 'Missy'

As the engineer said, "sure it works in practice, but will it work in theory?"