Showcase your Investigator

General Sailing Talk
samham00
Investigator Boat Name: Mishka

Re: Showcase your Investigator

Post by samham00 »

Hello
Just introducing myself
I am the new owner of Mishka sail 107, shes now lives near Mandurah WA. I am currently getting her ready for first sail, some lines/sheets need replacing, cabin got a cleanout, wheel bearings done, new outboard 5hp Tohatsu longshaft 4 stroke.
I havnt owned a Trailer Sailer since I was 20 in NZ, so very excited at 41 to get back into it.

She was nicely refurbed or looked after by a owner in the past.

Cheers
Sam
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

Hi Sam, you slipped into the forum there and I missed it for a few days. Welcome to the fold . Love WA :) first traveled there in 93 by Kombi with the kids and been back there twice since, once by sea and once by air . Look forward to hearing about your adventures in Mishka.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Peter T
Investigator Boat Name: Sail- La- Vie

Post by Peter T »

Hi Sam, Peter here, welcome. I have just recently purchased the same motor as you have but haven't used it as yet. From all accounts they are a great thing, especially in a decent sea as the leg is long enough for it not to come out of the water and they don't drink too heavily. Enjoy the boat as I am sure you will. Cheers
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Raya
Investigator Boat Name: Tme Out

Post by Raya »

Welcome Sam. I haven't heard about Mishka for a very long time. I have an old photo of an Investigator that I think might be Mishka. The photo was taken in Taree following a regatta for Trailer sailers (which it won) and shows it being launched next to (yellow) Baby Doll, the last Investigator off the production line. Does the white boat look like your Mishka?

Enjoy your Investigator. (How about sharing a couple of photos of your boat with the forum.)
Ray
Ray
Investigator #39
Frenchy
Investigator Boat Name: Drifter

Post by Frenchy »

Hi Sam,

We are also in Perth and have "Drifter" a WA version of the Investigator. We have had Drifter for a year now, restored it and have done several sails on the river, Busselton, Walpole, Jurien Bay and Rockingham area. Does yours have a front hatch and centre board?
Cheers from Perth.

Drifter
WA built
Sail number Unknown
Paddy
Investigator Boat Name: The answer my friend...

Post by Paddy »

Here is our lemon. Sail No 30
I have owned it over a year and need to get it on the water.
It came with a mast. either, missing the bottom 30cm and the base plate put back on or a mast from a hobbie 16 catamaran.
I have purchased a new mast section and recently got a new main and Genoa from Bull sails in Geelong (highly recommend, Tony is great to work with).
I am currently working on changing the rigging from ratchet straps to SS wire.
The new Genoa seams to come past the side stay by 30cm. Do I need to move the side stay back down the boat to avoid the sail rubbing. Has anyone done this or have any thoughts.
Can anyone tell me the wire thickness on side stays and forestay.
Also
The jib blocks are too far forward
The centre board is stuck up
The motor mount is too high
And lots more
But these things can wait, looking at other pics I think I got the worst investigator available. But it is in good hands and will one day be a beauty again.
Attachments
bb696aaa6be644e802f19eb9e8d1bc16.0.jpg
Greg
Investigator Boat Name: Law and Disorder

Post by Greg »

They are all old boats now with lots of problems, fortunately they can all be sorted out with a bit of hard work. Hang in there mate.
Greg
Investigator #10 - Law & Disorder
Sydney

https://www.facebook.com/lawanddisorder563/
https://www.instagram.com/sv_lawanddisorder/
Peter T
Investigator Boat Name: Sail- La- Vie

Post by Peter T »

Hi Paddy, check your genoa sail measurements against what is meant to be. I have added a photo here for you. I would not even think of moving the shrouds aft, but you could fit a length of plastic tubing over the turn buckles etc to prevent any chaffing.
You should have enough sail track to adjust the sheet blocks for the genoa, but if not, it would not be too difficult to change them to longer ones but it shouldn't be necessary.
I am wondering if your genoa has been made too big for the boat ?
The only other thing is, being a WA boat, should the genoa be smaller given that the mast on them were shorter ? I don't know, but I would compare the measurements that I have given with what you have.
Cheers
Screenshot_20230723_171621_PDF Reader.jpg
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Paddy
Investigator Boat Name: The answer my friend...

Post by Paddy »

Thank you. I will check the measurements. Should be the right size, as I have a new mast to the length in that same pdf. I am just working out where to put the top forestay bracket, I don't want to drill two sets of holes in a brand new mast. Once I get it sailing I will know what works
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

Hi Paddy, sorry to hear of your difficulties with the boat, but don’t be put off they are worth sorting out and I’m sure you will be rewarded in the end with a satisfying sailing experience with the Investigator. And good advice already offered.

I sleeve the stays with caravan drain hose to stop chafing the sails or myself. If you can get the mast and rigging operable, there is no shame in sailing with the cb stuck to get you on the water. You will make a bit of leeway but who cares. Also you may have success freeing it if you park it in the shallows and dive under and run an old pruning saw up and down the slots either side . That is my weapon of choice. If there is old marine growth maybe from a long immersion period this may clean it out. Even loose rust of the cb may come loose and free it up. You can start this process on the trailer for the accessible bits before you launch .

Once underway check to see if your cb bolts are leaking just in case. Keep us up to date on your progress. Always good to see another boat being put back into use
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)