The World has moved on.

General Sailing Talk
Andrew
Investigator Boat Name: Teria

Re: The World has moved on.

Post by Andrew »

The other sci fi with sped-up and exaggerated everything was "Contagion", the virus was like air-borne Delta corona with ebola rolled into one. The lockdown parts and their extreme virus suits etc were well done but the movies vaccination solution was wildly inaccurate. The movies vax program had a few minutes airtime and didn't even approach reality. so movies definitively not a reliable source of info :D.

PS studied microbiology for a semester looong ago...but didn't get into it

At least the Spansih flu pandemic indicates corona could fade back after a few years, herd immunity (the easy or hard way) and natural selection in population eventually happens. The people in 1919 weren't fortunate to have the vaccine technology that's available today but some of the methods like lockdowns worked (ref. City of St Louis vs Philadelphia)

Hope everyone has their boat maintenance kits well stocked up, should be a few slightly improved Investigators out there after its all over?
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

Boating rules update

https://watercraftzone.com.au/nsw-polic ... ns-update/

Fair enough I guess. Bad news is they are talking herd immunity may never happen . Basically because not enough people have caught the lurgy and recovered and some people will not get vaccinated. It is well possible that we will be asked by our grandkids what the world was like before C19.

Stay safe.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

https://www.calcmaps.com/map-radius/

I did a quick search and this came up straight away .

As you can guess it will overlay a circle of your chosen diameter on a google map to give you a boating/travel range area. Or indeed a living area . On a lighter note I’ve messaged my golfer friends who live in Valentine and told them they can only legally play the back nine holes at Belmont Golf club or they will get “very large” green fees. :lol: Fortunately for us, Spritzig II is moored within my 5k circle as is some water to sail on. Tip, if your search engine is not google, this is a bit clunky, so you may need to reset it temporarily for best results.

Also on a lighter note, as I need one, came across this yesterday from the late comedian Dave Barry
7FAD9F99-BB4F-42FD-BA82-967B19955394.jpeg
7FAD9F99-BB4F-42FD-BA82-967B19955394.jpeg (11.94 KiB) Viewed 21477 times
Stay safe. :|
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Stay safe in NSW, its good that they still alow limited sailing for exercise (it was totally banned in qlds "first wave" in mar-april 2020). But cant understand the difference between the states health responses, evil Genie has really escaped the bottle there. Its important for govt to slam on hard restrictions without delay, like first case slam it..eg NZ, QLD, NT, WA etc. "Every day you lock early, equals one weeks less lockown later." (Ref. Dr Swan, ABC corona cast)

It can change fast, anywhere with ultra contaigious Delta.. We have a potential border breach situation unfolding in Townsville right now. They drove direct from Sydney and ran around here for 5 days...got sprung and in custody yesterday. Awaiting results, either a fizzer or new cluster..thousands of km from source, through a pretty hard border,,,
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

Andrew wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:40 am We have a potential border breach situation unfolding in Townsville right now. They drove direct from Sydney and ran around here for 5 days...got sprung and in custody yesterday. Awaiting results, either a fizzer or new cluster..thousands of km from source, through a pretty hard border,,,
Nuts on stilts. Why those in the know are pessimistic about herd immunity. Boris’s UK experiment may yet blow up in his face. Will match his hair.

We are going out to the boat tomorrow and maybe a sail. At least a canoe. Going crazy doing home improvements and muting the news on tv. Walking the dog on the waterfront only makes you want to be on the water. Two weeks today since our second jab but one more week will be safer.

Stay safe. Anyone else on the water?
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Not out there yet Ozzie but hope to in near future (house revamp project completed, renting out process now). Best to sail while a chance still there.

New advice on Delta is Herd immunity won't happen.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-08-17/ ... /100366038

At least a heavily vaccinated population will slow it down heaps and allow some freedoms.

Looks like the Qld border-breaching kid tested negative (in iso) and irresponsible adult driving coped a 4k fine.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-08-19/ ... /100390078

I've stayed home these last few days while the school alert was on. Saw a good podcast - re room ventilation, Belgium installs Co2 level meters everywhere. its a good indicator of when a space is more susceptible to the wafting germ. It's 420ppm Co2 outside naturally, 800ppm causes Belgian govt to act on a business, and 1200ppm causes them to shut it down until alleviated. Vehicles are bad, unless open circulation is activated don't leave aircons on recirculation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29mrcD9VVgA

It could be one reason the tropics (Cairns, Townsville) have dodged Delta incursions, allot of open-air living even mid "winter".
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

We went out to go sailing yesterday but the cb was not cooperating so needs a shave. As the lake is still a bit “arctic” to go frolicking under the boat without a wetsuit we went for a spin in the polycat down to the airport island at Pelican .

I’ve only ever seen it this busy on Australia Day. It seems lockdown, though still official is not much of an issue for boaties. I’m wondering how crowded it’s going to be after all restrictions are lifted and they pull the fence down around Sydney.
40DE34D5-146D-42A5-A6A3-3FFD55D77C7F.jpeg
Astra Zeneca anyone?
Astra Zeneca anyone?
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Great to hear NSW and ACT have reached vac goals and can start re opening. and ViC not far behind, good job. Australia is right up there. Enjoy the sailing.

QLD reaching vac goal mid dec then border reopens for xmas.
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

Seems like yesterday but our last post here was in October 2021. We just got a group email from our GP who is running weekend flu clinics from their practice to get as many people jabbed as possible. I hope, but am pessimistic that covid will make people more aware of immunity and the social responsibility of mask wearing. This has been a thing in Asia long, long before covid.

We always get flue jabs and will be first in line this year. Covid has not gone, it’s legacy lives on. My mate lost his dad to it and several close relos and friends are suffering from long covid, it’s a real thing and there are clinics in Sydney and Melbourne with waiting lists longer than your arm to get in. Abc podcast I listened to said post covid ongoing medical conditions are going to cost the community billions in the long run. Some poor bugger in his twenties interviewed, who was fitness fanatic, can’t walk around the block. Scary crepe.

Not sure how flu on top of covid would play out, or if having one makes you more susceptible to a worse hit of the other, but not interested in experiencing such. Winter is a great time to sail on nice days. No bugs, less sunburn and less traffic. Try and avoid diseases as well. Cheers.
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Peter T
Investigator Boat Name: Sail- La- Vie

Post by Peter T »

You are exactly right Ozzie. The dreaded Covid is still present and attacking. From what I have heard, a lot of people who get it for the 2nd and third time seem to get it worse and often get the long covid after 2nd or 3rd infection. I think from observation that people think it's over and we are now clear of it and that it's no worse than a cold.
WRONG.
I think, at least wear a mask in public places like supermarkets and keep sanitation handy and use it.
Also, if you have had covid more than 6 months ago or it's been more than 6 months since last vaccination, they say " get a Jab". That's me !
Cheers
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."