USEFUL STUFFS

General Sailing Talk
Andrew
Investigator Boat Name: Teria

Re: USEFUL STUFFS

Post by Andrew »

Interesting Rope info. Nylon's stretch properties good for docklines. Polyester good for halyards etc. Polyprop floats.

Countdown about to begin for Aldi Townsville (23rd Nov opening).. :D
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

RTM has its Black Friday cattle dog sale online with lots of stuff . I had a quick look at the lithium batteries out of curiosity and for a lark scrolled down to the most expensive one :o :o :o :o
3233C4C6-6EF7-4733-9A8B-034FCA2C57E8.jpeg
I don’t think I’ll be building my own electric yacht any time soon. Still VCRs cost that once .
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

Aldi have their ropes on sale this Saturday the 27th. Seems good value for 20 plus metres depending on type. As I’ve mentioned before I’ve had several brands of knockoff coremantle rope out in the elements on the mooring and it is ok for non critical use. Check prices against the green shed to see if they are longer lengths for similar price.
Enough Rope
Enough Rope
Also have various tools on sale, check cattle dog.
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

This Saturday 27/2 the Aldi conglomerate have tools on again. You can check the site for details. I recommend again their Workzone tape which is a woven/duct tape more really the gaffer tape I used on my music days. I’ve found it quite strong for emergency repairs etc. Only thing I note is the descriptions are getting shorter and, by the picture, so is the length. ( no length quoted) You used to score 20 km for $4 , now the roll looks less than 20km . Maybe my glasses need an upgrade .

All the descriptions are getting less detailed :cry: no drill sizes etc. I know this is effective marketing to get you in the store to see, but it is also a subtle reason Supermarkets are under scrutiny and rightly so. Anyway they have much that is useful to sailing, plastic ties etc.
Tape
Tape
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Andrew
Investigator Boat Name: Teria

Post by Andrew »

Always keep a roll of cloth tape onboard Ozzie, it's amazing what it can repair when out. Patch a hole, hold something in place, wrap some wires together..

Another useful thing. Black Polyethylene pipe.
polypipe 19mm lowdens 25d 2024-02-28 082341.png
It also has many potential uses (apart from irrigation) .

Gunwale rubrail.
Anchor locker protective edge strips (stop chain chipping fibreglass)
Car to trailer backing-up guide.
Plumbing on board.

20m of 19mm low density poly costs about $25 at B's, (thin walled flexible pipe) It's low cost. Inject silone sealant under it to hold in place. Often there are leftovers in the garden shed. It also comes in 12mm or 25mm. It's properties are it wont leave black marks on other things, flexible, ultra UV resistant, is slippery to run things over it without chafe..

High density (HD) poly pipe, is thick walled (2-3mm). I made a rudder lock-on tang for my dinghy for free (after nothing available in shops up here). It might be possible to use it for rubrailing (but much harder to work than low density poly)
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

Ozzie wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:39 pm Just a heads up, Aldi have the hi viz lined work jackets on this Saturday. These are quite passable as sailing wear and very reasonably priced by comparison. I’ve had one for years and have used it in cold weather when my thin Burke does not cut it. Be warned though they are hi viz but not night rated like my old one, so you need reflective strips from another source like your PFD. Or I guess you could add stick/sew on ones.

Another plus! You can jump off the boat at any point and fill a pothole without looking out of place :shock:

Andrew, sorry about posting Aldi stuff again. You must be getting close to getting them up your way soon. They are ten feet apart down here these days !
On again next week. Still no retro reflective strips but they are probably on you PFD. My Aldi jacket is still good after 9 years use.

Good call on PPE tube Andrew. I have split black rubber tube as the fender strips on the nose of my tender but it puts ugly black marks on the Investigator. Might sheath it with PPE.
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)