Hawkesbury and tiller pilot

Stories and pics of Investigators on the water - and getting there.
IanS
Investigator Boat Name: Rhythm

Re: Hawkesbury and tiller pilot

Post by IanS »

Great blog post Andrew.

Just reading over this thread I note my comment about fixing the brass socket on the coaming with polyurethane. After a couple of years in the sun and use it's come loose and will need to be glued in again. I'll go for epoxy (or polyester as I have it) this time.

Ian
Ian, Rhythm #121
Andrew
Investigator Boat Name: Teria

Post by Andrew »

Thanks Ian,
Finally got my pushrod extensions, after 2+ months wait. Must be the far extremities of the wartimes supply chain. The minimalist packaging said "made in Hungary" with a few code numbers etc. It fit onto the ST1000 ok, 3 cheers to the factory in Hungary (where's USA or China?).
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Peter T
Investigator Boat Name: Sail- La- Vie

Post by Peter T »

Hi all, I also purchased an ST1000 for mine. It will also be mounted on the top pf the combing., I worked out that they did not make a shaft extension long enough, so purchased their longest one which I think is 6 inches. I will also cut this into two and turn up a piece in the lathe to extend it to correct length. I think I will fit the electrical plug on the inside face of the combing to avoid it from getting wet, however I have not started fitting it yet as have been working on a mast lifting system which I will post on here once I know how good it works. I was fortunate to have been able to make a front and rear mast holding bracket that secures the mast along the top of the boat for transport which also allows for the boat on the trailer with the mast in its carrier to just, and I mean just, clear the roller door of the shed. it would have been a real pain if I had needed to remove the mast every time I wanted to get the boat in and out of the shed. Anyway, more news as it happens. Cheers
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
IanS
Investigator Boat Name: Rhythm

Post by IanS »

Good to hear both of your progress. Hungary, who'd have thought?

Peter, I still haven't fitted the DC socket for the tiller pilot. I decided against the inside of the combing as it would be uncomfortable to sit against when not in use. So far I have just been running the wire out from the cabin. Messy but protected from the weather when on the mooring.

Ian
Ian, Rhythm #121
Peter T
Investigator Boat Name: Sail- La- Vie

Post by Peter T »

Hi Ian, yes good thought, however I reckon I will have the autohelm hooked up all the time, so I figure fitting the plug on the inside of the combing directly under the ST1000. That way it would only be uncomfortable when the thing was not fitted. Will probably make the final decission once I have the mechanics of it is installed, or , even do what you said with loose wiring until I decide. Thanks for your thoughts. Cheers
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."