Electric yachts - the future?

General Sailing Talk
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Re: Electric yachts - the future?

Post by Ozzie »

Just doing a little bit of tidying up and noticed this post now has 18,600 views.

That’s the population of Mt Isa

No, I have not done much productive today. :shock: :shock: :P
Last edited by Ozzie on Wed Nov 16, 2022 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Deleted extraneous word
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Andrew
Investigator Boat Name: Teria

Post by Andrew »

Ozzie wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:51 pm Actually Andrew 50 years ago we had a local inventor , I can still remember his name , Arnold Delaney. He was a bit of a local identity as he was also the Editor of the Charlestown Post. He invented a bilge pump for moored boats that worked not unlike an automatic watch . Simple rocking movement of the boat cranked a long arm with a float on the end. He patented the device and was on “The Inventors” on the ABC from memory. Not sure if it ever took off but it was as cleaver as sliced bread . Anyway maybe something will come up in a similar light to create electricity. You’re dead right :) lots of energy wasted in a rocking boat.

:lol: Good grief I googled him and a link came up. This forum does lead down rabbit holes occasionally
https://history.lakemac.com.au/page-loc ... narid=3915
I found his US Patent for it!

https://patents.google.com/patent/US3120212

and another design

https://patents.google.com/patent/US4953490

But then it's modern times, so the easiest way to go now would be solar power, 12v electric pump with a mercury switch in bilge. :D (getting back to electric yachts theme)
Attachments
Delaney wave actuated bilge pump 1962
Delaney wave actuated bilge pump 1962
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

🤩 wow , champion work Andrew. What an amazing store of knowledge on the net. Arnold was a true inventor. I note the description in the patent

Preferably the pump barrel is open on the discharge side and is so located that it is automatically maintained primed.

Which always had me wondering how it kept prime.

Those younger readers may not be aware that in my youth you could moor just about anything. Small wooden 12 footers were plentiful on hooks about the lake. But you had to put covers to keep rain out or bail them out regularly. This pump would have been a godsend but did not become mainstream. It was only later as people got more affluent and more people could afford boats that the bover boys in government declared you could not more anything under 5 m or whatever it currently is.

A bit of technology and boating history RIP Arnold.
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Peter T
Investigator Boat Name: Sail- La- Vie

Post by Peter T »

Hi all, saw this for sale on fb. Prices might be starting to come down a bit hopefully.
FB_IMG_1685527891014.jpg
Torqueedo 1003s travel
$1800
must sell
like new,little use
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

Well, while covering new electric stuff

https://theboatingemporium.com.au/produ ... gL86PD_BwE

Ad came up at the bottom of my gumtree feed this morning. I was wondering what the next big thing cashed up millennials would be flying past me with on the lake. This may be it. :shock:

Who would have thought one day I’d be a grumpy old man…and here I am…killin’ it :lol: :lol:
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Geoff
Investigator Boat Name: #50 Timeless

Post by Geoff »

:lol:
Geoff
Investigator #50 'Timeless'
Investigator #111 'Missy'

As the engineer said, "sure it works in practice, but will it work in theory?"
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

This video from Sailing Uma popped up on my utube feed today. They visited a big trade show in Amsterdam recently (for 3 days) which has a pleothora of advanced boat electric companies (some well established , others startups) displaying their hardware, software and some with fully integrated e-propulsion systems. Designed for small tenders, through sailboats and riverboats, to large commercial craft (non retail) etc. Some cutting edge technology happening, (don't ask about the price tags, thats barely covered ;) Some interesting design concepts described as they interviewed sales engineer type guys at the stands. About 40-50 companies doing it there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKJBnxQqAvM&t=2061s

NB The show is called METS https://www.tradefairdates.com/Marine+E ... erdam.html, held annually, it's for marine profesionals only (not general public) so Uma's video was a great lookin for all of us that can't ever go there.
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

In keeping with the electric power possibilities for boats you have to follow the market trends so I think this article translates ultimately to boats as well.

Ford cuts more F-150 Lightning production amid declining demand

https://7news.com.au/motoring/ford-cuts ... c-13315708
Just an interesting article in todays news feed that surprised even me and I’m a grumpy old cynic.

While freecamping last year we shared an area with some grey nomads driving a large F. Something ford dual cab with a substantial caravan in tow. Forget if it was petrol or diesel. During a chat he told me about the F100 Lightning. What I remember :shock: was it was also able to be used as a powerwall battery for your house when parked at home. It certainly sounded like the next step to getting gas guzzler dual cab on the road to extinction. (I’m not pointing fingers here as I own two 3 litre diesels).

But with figures like this quoted in the article…

In a financial call last year, Ford told US reporters its EV division lost $US1.3 billion (AU$1.97 billion) between July and September, equating to a loss of almost $US36,000 ($AU54,600) per battery-powered car sold.

It would seem supply and demand is still going to be the deciding factor in how fast we adopt new tech not nobility regarding the planet.

By the way this thread now has over 340,000 hits :shock: we should monetize it. :D
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Before going electric check this out, from an experienced circumnavigator from Norway. Thomas's practical experience, analysis, conclusions about all-electric vs hybrid-electric vs conventional diesel is an eye opener.

He says not eveyone would agree with him but it his honest opinion. He does the basic math..and the costs..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJYKYICEUlE

One of his main criteria is safety, and that means motoring range of at least 500nm for bluewater crossings. (Mostly to escape bad weather in time, but also if the rig is compromised/lightning strike after effects) There is not much difference in fuel use running a straight diesel vs a hybrid-electric. Maintenance on his hybrid's generator a big problem, he also compares his 2 generators diesel vs petrol.

For all-electric..a mono hull simply can't pack enough solar panels on it to get the range he needs. The reliable diesel with range also eliminates range anxiety which get worse when coral reefs etc have to be navigated and put behind you quickly. Also calm before storms are often cloudy times, bad for solar. He doesn't mention prop "regen" at all though.

Electric could be ok for nice charter-yacht locations and bay-sailing but not for remote dangerous stuff, especially if operating in cyclone season areas.
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria