Inflatable life jacket use by dates

General Sailing Talk
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Inflatable life jacket use by dates

Post by Ozzie »

https://forums.ybw.com/threads/when-doe ... ng.605213/

Just a thread currently being debated on Practical Boat Owner. I, as I’ve stated, am not big on inflatable stuff . I have two inflatable sit on top kayaks but we wear non-inflatable PFDs when using them. I know I’m probably old fashioned. This thread brings up issues I had not thought of and I thought it may be of interest. I note the comment on “spares”. Also note the inflatables that failed and were scrapped by the owner.

I have two levels of PFDs. Kayak vest for normal days and pfd1s for hairy weather. I’m still of the opinion that my kayak jacket is far more practical to be wearing if your leaping about trying to save your vessel or crew rather than sitting in the water blowing your whistle and waiting for Marine Rescue to show up. I’m probably wrong and hope I never test the theory. Mrs Ozzies vest is rated higher than mine and has a collar. Both are quite legal for enclosed waters. I’m yet to do a test dunk in full winter jacket and long pants to see how well I float and can swim In my kayak vest.

Mrs Ozzie was showing me a clip on Facebook showing how to turn your jeans into a Pfd. Tie the leg’s together put them over your neck. You then plunge your arm into the water to create air bubbles which you capture in the opening waist of your buttoned and zipped jeans . This inflates the legs and bingo. It’s probably on YouTube somewhere too. Looks impressive on the video but probably won’t impress old mate from NSW Martime writing out your fine if it’s all you have :shock:
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Re: Inflatable life jacket use by dates

Post by Ozzie »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNTSoKg6xHM
This US navy training film shows three ways to achieve this technique.

My wife says some of the old trousers I wear sailing have reached their use by date and are not suitable for this purpose :shock: I have promised to do annual testing.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Andrew
Investigator Boat Name: Teria

Re: Inflatable life jacket use by dates

Post by Andrew »

The trouser pants might be a good backup if the old inflatable PFD pops! 10 years is the manufacurer recommended "lifespan". But In the thread , its pointed out that good storage extends the life of Inflatable/any life jacket. It's a yachting forum, so most of their LJ's would be kept on board keelers in the sea, with hatches locked up... If it's hot etc on top of that, get UV on them etc, then they could deteriorate faster.

Reckon our jackets etc will last longer given good treatment.
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria