Bucket bath and showers

General Sailing Talk
Andrew
Investigator Boat Name: Teria

Re: Bucket bath and showers

Post by Andrew »

Thanks for the feed back Geoff and Ozzie,

Preheating water with sun's rays, would warm water up.

I've tried the camp solar showers aboard too, and found them heavy (20kg) and cumbersome on a rocking boat. They are like a large flying jellyfish if hung up and like a slippery seal if trying to empty like a jerry can to bucket. The micro tap/showerhead output is too slow to use this in a pouring mode.

The inner researcher here, experimented with dark green jerry cans (on the last day of sunshine 33C air temp, have about a week of grey cooler monsoon pulse rain now). Used an inkbird BBQ digital thermometer to measure water temps. After a few hours the containers waters were 40-45 deg C, good bath temperatures (and no stove hot water needed). The containers are heavy duty plastic and should be stable when rolling, also easier to handle/empty into bucket bath.

The containers and temps were:

10L Bunnings round pail with lid - 40C (easiest to empty)
10L khaki army jerry can (Churches disposal) - 42C (larger lid hole, lighter weight to handle and empty)
20L dark army green water jerry can (B's) - 45C (smaller lid hole, can empty by laying it down on cockpit seat)

It will probably be less heat than this in our dry season sailing season (25-30C day air temps, April - Nov) but would reduce stove fuel use.
Attachments
rps20240115_083804.jpg
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
IanS
Investigator Boat Name: Rhythm

Re: Bucket bath and showers

Post by IanS »

I love the SoDBoSCo!

This is my cold shower onboard. It hangs from the boom and gets lots of use after a swim. I have a 20l water container on board.

https://www.bcf.com.au/p/companion-canv ... 10#start=2

Good materials, crazy price, I bought mine on sale.
Ian, Rhythm #121