Galley Box

Andrew
Investigator Boat Name: Teria

Re: Galley Box

Post by Andrew »

Thanks Pete, it's a bit rustic, but was a good design and learning experience.

This galley also fits on the cockpit floor and juuust squeezes into the port lazzarette. It's by no means a refined design (eg. The lid is oversize with a 7mm gap to box, allows room for external fold of alum sheild and ss round head steam punk screws)

For a mark2 Gbox would use 12mm ply, flush lid and sides, Aluminium extrusions for edging covers. and a full width front door (either hinge down or washboard style, have 40mm high fiddle inside the door) This would greatly simplify construction.
Attachments
rps20231129_172743.jpg
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

Champion job Andrew. Lots of great ideas to inspire there. After following your build, I’m going to glue cork or silicone on the back of my companionway step. It’s only held by Velcro. Then I can flip it over during cooking and use it as a pot stand.

Your design isn’t just good for onboard cooks but easy to transfer onto the beach in a pinch I’d say.

Get building folks you can do Xmas din dins onboard. Come to think of it, might be a way to escape relos ;)
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Andrew
Investigator Boat Name: Teria

Post by Andrew »

Yes, it's quite portable Ozzie, reckon it could go anywhere (like ute trayback camping, beach etc)

Found a couple more stowage spots aboard. As there's no foward bunk matresses installed in Teria, it fits just foward of the arch bulkhead to either side and also right up in the bow under foredeck behind anchor locker (bit hard to access though)

Won't be using the "Salsa" HPV stove in it, it got way too hot during the frypan egg test (ate allot of fried eggs yesterday! :D ) The stoves too wide and constricted in this box to release it's heat. And definitely NEVER put an explodo butane stove into anything like this! The box suits smaller single burners like Trangia , CAN (Bonnetti) which don't get as hot. It radiates allot of waste side heat back inside which suits the lower powered type alcohol burners, giving a bit of extra refected heat back into the cook pot or frypan, bit like an oven's wall.

(For the "Salsa" or anytype of potentially explosive stove, it will require a huge design rethink) (Maybe have 2 sides that fold right down semi-open and only 2 heatsheild walls protecting the bulkhead and cabin side, perhaps even an upcycled old gas stove case?)
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria