Toe Rail Repair

Peter T
Investigator Boat Name: Sail- La- Vie

Toe Rail Repair

Post by Peter T »

Hi all, on my boat I had a small piece of the teak toe rail missing at the stern on the starboard side. I found a piece of teak in my stack of timber enabling me to make a replacement piece. Quite happy with the result See below
20210521_193847.jpg
20210521_193858.jpg
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Manango
Investigator Boat Name: RIPPLE

Re: Toe Rail Repair

Post by Manango »

Looks good. I have no timber on my gunwales and that will have to be done this winter. I have already worked out how I will do it, but unlike you, no teak, I will be using Spotted Gum.
There are so many jobs I will be undertaking that as I proceed I will set up a blog for people to see.
Rick Huntley

Project Boat "RIPPLE" under modification - Tow vehicle Ford Wagon or if the boss lets me a Subaru Forester Nanango QLD (approx 200Km NNW of Brissie)
Peter T
Investigator Boat Name: Sail- La- Vie

Re: Toe Rail Repair

Post by Peter T »

Hi all, long time since previous post on toe rail repair, but given enough time, things eventually happen.

Well, after having the winter off working on the boat and enjoying the warmth and sun in Qld, it's been several days of hard work, but I am more than happy with how the teak toe rails came up after all the scraping, sanding and more sanding, 5 coats of Deks Olje No1, followed be 3 coats of No2, more sanding with 600 wet and dry followed by a further 2 coats of Deks Olje No2.
But boy, it was worth it. Remarkable finish not shown to its full glory in this photo. Definately pays to do it by the book with this stuff. Absolutely Chuffed!
20230921_170851.jpg
20230921_170857.jpg
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."