Portable electric breathing apparatus

General Sailing Talk
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Portable electric breathing apparatus

Post by Ozzie »

I was over on a rare visit to tsp today to see if I could find some pics I posted there ten years ago. There is currently a thread on the subject above. As I know many from here also frequent there note the warnings from Paul Dandy on these devices. Paul is a GP and has done diving training so this is good advice. Mdedman is a scuba diver and has similar warnings.

I looked into hookah style diving assistant units way back in my cruiser days for cleaning the bottom of the boat as it was far harder than the Investigator. My sister-in-law was a qualified professional dive master at the time and warned me not to go near any of these devices at all. Any form of this stuff requires proper scuba training otherwise it can kill you, very easily. Many lung injuries she said occur from depths as shallow as six feet if you don’t exhale.

The other devices I’ve been told to be cautious about are the full face style dive masks. We are both keen snorkelers and on trips to Vanuatu and New Caledonia years ago these started appearing more and more frequently, I thought they might be worth a try and looked into it but as per the article below they also have issues. Not blowing your lungs to pieces like the portable scuba, but excess CO2 not ejected on exhale. There are improvements to these but be aware of the proper fitting warnings. I’ll stick to my standard snorkel setup which while I’ve got the puff left to use it works good enough.

Marvin out…🤖🤪

https://snorkelaroundtheworld.com/2018/ ... dangerous/
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Andrew
Investigator Boat Name: Teria

Re: Portable electric breathing apparatus

Post by Andrew »

Interesting Ozzie, definitely should have a scuba diving ticket before using any kind of compressed air breathing device underwater. Can get "air embolisms" if don't exhale as ascending (like for panic-mode divers who usually hold their breath, go up, lung air expands, breaks through into the bloods artieries in lungs, bubbles go into brain, and a stroke results. probably with lifelong disability if they survive at all). (Another possibility is Pneumothorax - where the air busts out into the chest cavity, expands and crushes the other organs like heart etc) serious stuff.

I did many scuba tickets back in the heydays, and also used commercial hookah units for pearl farm diving in 1970's. Bit rusty after decades off.

Here's a link to these small portable hookah units https://www.hookahdivingsystems.com/
(couldnt find anything on TSP)

Snorkelling's enough for my needs now, just the good old style silicone mask and snorkels are fine. or even just swimmers goggles for 2 ft deep hull in water maintenance. Never tried those full facemasks, accredited Australian tour operators would have the genuine good non-Co2 buildup type but dodgy ones (overseas?) may not. "Don't dive alone" is the No1 safety rule (but have broken it once, to attend to a failed centerplate lift wire, and get the plate up a bit for trailer home)
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria