A chat about VHF Radios

General Sailing Talk
Andrew
Investigator Boat Name: Teria

Re: A chat about VHF Radios

Post by Andrew »

It was ok for the first outboatd, but the new motor (tohatsu sailpro 6) has a longer tiller that hit the aerial, so trying a new spot ...4" inboard of that old photo. ,(if that fails, im making a ply "boomerang" to u bolt to the pulshpit rail corner...) need to do a test sail to see what works,
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

I like the pulsh pit rail mount idea, and that a range of mounts are available. If anyone figures out how to do it would be a good thing to know. agree getting the aerial up a bit higher must be better for signal/reception strength in a big swell.

saw a double-jointed aerial base online somewhere which may also make it easier to do,, ? but just want to use my existing base, may have to woodwork a flat surface for it.
Last edited by Andrew on Wed Jul 05, 2023 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

thanks for advice but i had already half made my ply prototype rail mount, so kept going on it today. The thing wasn't level so added a 19mm thick pine wood block on top and planed it down on one side so the aerial base is horizontal as possible (and the aerial is vertical). After reading that article on it, decided to do the extra work and get the aerial up high as practical to improve signal range etc.

All the woods getting a few coats of decking oil. its just held by cable ties while looking for some light gauge ss ubolts with 20mm ID,, (so ended up at road tech marine, only one open on Sun. They didn't have those ubolts (but did pickup a 0.7 kg mini folding grapnel anchor for the kayak, haven't seen that small before, an ideal size and far easier to stow than my previous reef pronged anchor.)
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Update on my VHF

Found out that even though i did the radio course at CoastGuard, about 10 years ago (VHF/HF everything, incl manual), but no certification ever came through. Visited the CG base this year and there was no record of my course or even ever being a CG member, it must've been in the paper filingcabinet and pen days and everything got thrown out when they changed to computers. :o

Luckily the authorities are not too heavy on inadvertent owners of old VHF units! I've been only a minimalist operator, a listening watch on ch16 guy, and never got in need of assistance (it's ok for uncertified radio operators to distress call, without fines).

Decided it's finally about time to get a "VHF licence". It's now called a "SROCP"(Acronym for - Short Range Operators Certificate of Proficiency)

So visited a small local Navigation company last month, did a home-study/online VHF course (can take your time, online self-test a good learning method, did self-test a 5 times at home, while refering to VHF manual to brush up/correct wrong answers). There's no time pressure with home study, even an old guy can go at a slow unstressed pace, so i took 2 weeks part-time to study up.

Once prepared, sat the VHF exam at the nav co's office/they are accredited facilitators (invigilators :geek: ). The exam is done online (AMC - Australian Maritime College) They tell you your score immediately :) passed the 25 question multiple choice test . Then there is a short practical test with a DSC VHF radio.
Took a photo, filled in a paper form, and hopefully a plastic card saying SROCP like a drivers licence with photo arrives in the mail soon. It's a bit of a process to get, but allot is learnt. Besides radio talk procedures, it covers repeaters, channels to use or avoid, phonetic alphabet, EPIRB's, SART's and even AIS (the later 2 way up the ladder, into larger yachts or commercial ships). The ticket is lifelong with no renewal like a drivers licence. It cost me $30 for the manual and $125 for the course/exam and facilitator/examiner.

The good thing about VHF's are repeater towers extending the range. They are all along the coast and located on hilltops, sometime on offshore islands etc. The higher the antenna the further the range. The repeater on Ch22 at Townsville has 63 mile range (100km) !! right out to the barrier reefs. The max range is about 5-10 miles boat to boat. More to a "Limited Coast Station" (eg Coast guard shore base - for non-commercial craft safety and movement monitoring) with a 12m antenna tower. It's also has a powerful signal strength if needed. Normally 1 watt but can switch to 25W if at max range or in distress message.

VHF is good for coastal cruisers who might go 2-30 nautical miles offshore (past the EPIRB maps semi-protected waters limits) or into remote locations
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Geoff
Investigator Boat Name: #50 Timeless

Post by Geoff »

Thanks for the description Andrew, I got my VHF license about 18 months ago. But I had to take a different and more expensive path.

It was in the Covid days and all face to face had been banned, had to be all online. Plus out here in the sticks we have no 'small local Navigation company' :) .

So I used an online company. I wanted to get a SROCP Cert, but the LROCP (long range) was the same price $288 all up. So I did that course. It was 50 questions instead of 25, plus the little practical test via skype with the inviligator. But I didn't get my results straight away either. Had to wait a week or so as he had to submit to the licensing authority.

Anyway, got a 100% pass mark and a little plastic card with a grumpy old man's photo and Long Range Operator Certificate of Proficiency on it.

You are right, the course was worth doing just for the info, and was interesting.
Geoff
Investigator #50 'Timeless'
Investigator #111 'Missy'

As the engineer said, "sure it works in practice, but will it work in theory?"
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

That's the best radio ticket Geoff, with potential to go way out blue water cruising later, and nice to know course can be completely online if needed. The "Navigation Centre" was where i did my course, (It downsized ?from Pandemic but still good) . Also a smiley photo was allowed for the ticket :D

Found this big recent change to HF monitoring , AMSA's doing it now (Not states/territories) https://www.amsa.gov.au/news-community/ ... -australia. They said "HF DSC" is taking over conventional HF, wonder if there are a heap of secondhand plain HF's on the market because of the changes ?
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Peter T
Investigator Boat Name: Sail- La- Vie

Post by Peter T »

Greetings. My VHF Aerial is mounted on the Starboard side pushpit directly above the corner upright. It has a flat round plate there for the purpose. The cable exits the rear of the side combing through a hole just large enough to poke the terminal end that plugs into the radio through. It is then sealed with white sikaflex. The beauty of this is that I can undo the screw at the Aerial base and fold the Aerial down so it layes along the top of the top life line for trailering of putting the boat in the shed.
Cheers
Last edited by Peter T on Thu Jul 06, 2023 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

That's the go Peter, gets the antenna higher, out of the way and easily trailerable. My one is same concept as you, just on the port side railtop corner above the upright. Here is a photo from my last trip.
Teria VHF antenna base
Teria VHF antenna base

Tested it's range with coastguard base from about 8 nautical miles away. Got through on ch16 at 1 watt but weak/disrupted signal, so CG said switch to ch22 repeater then it was loud and clear still on 1 watt at my end. Further tests ahead but reckon the VHF rail-mount will do for Teria going forward.

re-used the deck/transom mount base already installed, but for those starting from scratch suggest better get a proper rail mount base which clamps onto the rail, keep it simple.
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Peter T
Investigator Boat Name: Sail- La- Vie

Post by Peter T »

Yes that's awsome Andrew, just found this photo on my phone showing the purpose built stainless bracket built in to the pushpit. Sorry about all the bikes on the wall. Ha ha
Screenshot_20230706_155934_Gallery.jpg
Also, you still have the option to up your power so it's about as good as it will be. Cheers
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."