Stove fitout

General Sailing Talk
geoffr

Stove fitout

Post by geoffr »

Hi all:

When I bought my boat (third-hand) last November, it came with an Australian-made RAVIA brand two-burner metho stove.

The stove was not fitted in the boat; just loose in a wooden housing the previous owner had made.

I know the original Investigators came with a metho stove fitted inside the port berth area; it apparently slid out for us.

I'm now building a frame to re-house my stove in that area, as it (not surprisingly) fits the space exactly.

I'm now wondering if any other Investigator owners have this same brand of stove, or have an original stove fitted in the allocated port berth area as it would have come from the 'factory' over 30 years ago. It would be great to see some photos, if anyone has some please.

I'll post some pics of my latest framing work in my 30 Year Refurb topic area.

Cheers.
Attachments
RAVIA two-burner metho stove that came with my boat - it may or may not be the original.
RAVIA two-burner metho stove that came with my boat - it may or may not be the original.
Close up of RAVIA stove (note that the clamps are just holding some sliders in position for attachment)
Close up of RAVIA stove (note that the clamps are just holding some sliders in position for attachment)
Geoff
Investigator 563 'QUMBU'
Geelong, Victoria, Australia
Yara50

Re: Stove fitout

Post by Yara50 »

Ah the Ravia! Wonderful stove! I had one for many years on my Bluebird 22. Big advantage, it burns clean and hot, just have to be careful not to flood the starting dish, and make sure it is hot before you open the tap.
Bit big for the Investigator though. I ended up with the Orego single burner, which IMHO does not burn as clean as it does not have the pre-heating system of the Ravia. See http://www.investigator563.com/forum/vi ... p?f=5&t=60
Like you say, lots of curves and takes a bit of time to install.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
TheMonk

Post by TheMonk »

Hi Geoff. There are some photos in the Gallery section on galley fitouts. I ended up buying a portable wooden camp kitchen off eBay. It's made by a chap in Wachope NSW. It cleverly folds out to a combined stove and sink arrangement, a beauty. Use it both inside and out. John.
Dr. Peter

Post by Dr. Peter »

<$20 bucks possibly cheaper - a little butane single burner stove from BFC. Brilliant! Want more capacity - buy two. Cook in the cockpit.
Peter
Peter
Pip #127
geoffr

Post by geoffr »

Peter:

I have one of these butane burners too, and they are great for camping.

However, after reading the horror stories on TSP regarding these stoves (and their potentially leaking butane gas canisters), I'm extremely reluctant now to have one inside the boat.

Each to their own I suppose.

Cheers.
Geoff
Investigator 563 'QUMBU'
Geelong, Victoria, Australia