Windows

Peter T
Investigator Boat Name: Sail- La- Vie

Re: Windows

Post by Peter T »

I have my windows out at the moment in readiness to paint cabin and topsides. Iwill then be replacing them.
I could trace them on to paper for anyone if they want.
Alai, I once had to make a curved windscreen for a restored WLA Harley. To put the curve in it, I used a Kerosene heater, mooving the screen back and forth, up and down holding with one hand each side until it was plyable enough to simple curve it by hand pressure. Turned out perfect without any distortion at all. Hope this helps.
Cheers
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

Thanks for heads up Geoff. I’ll give it a go during haulout…soon. Also going to get a Perspex jigsaw blade to try as recommended in another thread. Gotta love this forum :D

I’ve kept a few off cuts from side windows so I’ll practice on those first.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Peter T

Post by Peter T »

Thanks Geoff for the info on the windows. So far, so good with mine. See below.
The idea of using masking tape in 4 points around the window and using pencil marks to help with getting it right first time was excellent.
Still need to run the sikaflex around it after a few days.
20230330_180048.jpg
20230330_180101.jpg
As you can see from the last photo, the front hatch is not yet painted. Also, to bent the window to suit the hatch, I just used a stand up radiator to apply the heat. Had to have two goes at it as didn't get enough bend the first time as can be seen here, then did the google thing to find out how and found out the ideal temp is 160 degso I went back to the way I did it and just got it hotter . Now fits like a glove
Attachments
20230330_180033.jpg
20230330_180033.jpg
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Geoff
Investigator Boat Name: #50 Timeless

Post by Geoff »

Nice Peter, looks trick.

Better than showroom!
Geoff
Investigator #50 'Timeless'
Investigator #111 'Missy'

As the engineer said, "sure it works in practice, but will it work in theory?"
Watto
Investigator Boat Name: Ex - Fathom #82

Post by Watto »

This will be my winter project. 2520 total length so do in one piece will need to go down to 2490. Plan to blackout the hull that is under the window to make it look cleaner
Attachments
2ECE5CCD-56CA-4562-A4FB-6124C0F84C90.jpeg
Luke

-previously-
Fathom
Investigator sail #82
Peter T

Post by Peter T »

Hi Luke, could probably do it in two pieces. Reckon you would hardly see the join, especially if you left a half inch gap and filled it with black sealer
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

Peter T

Post by Peter T »

Finally got the new windows fitted and sealed up. Used the VHB tape to install them, used Sikaflex 295 UV ( Black) to seal them up. Used auto fine line tape to mask up both the cabin side and the very outside edge of the window itself then normal masking tape half covering the fine line. Using the fine line tape gives an excellent clean and sharp line to the Silastic. I must say, I am extremely impressed with the end result. Thanks Geoff and others who have posted the process on here.
20230501_171908.jpg
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

Geoff
Investigator Boat Name: #50 Timeless

Post by Geoff »

Looking better every day Peter.
Geoff
Investigator #50 'Timeless'
Investigator #111 'Missy'

As the engineer said, "sure it works in practice, but will it work in theory?"
Peter T

Post by Peter T »

Thanks Geoff. Put the last touches on the outside today. All I have to do now is make up some sort of a catch for the anchor well lid and fit a couple of bump stops on the sliding hatch to prevent the nuts on the back of the lock up latch from crashing into the new timber trim at the front edge of the hatch opening. Still have the inside to do but I think it's about time to get it wet and try out the features of the new trailer. It's taken me three times the time I expected to take, but it has also come up three times as good as I thought it would. Very satisfying project I must say cheers.
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

Looking forward to seeing pics of her under sail Peter.👍
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)