Progress slow but sure

Peter T
Investigator Boat Name: Sail- La- Vie

Progress slow but sure

Post by Peter T »

Hi all, just thought I would give a bit of an quick update on the refurb of
" Sail - La - Vie"
Months have passed, and in that time I have removed every conceivable fitting from the topsides and cabin, effected many gel coat cracks repairs, especially around the bottom curves to the cockpit sole and fibreglass repairs to where the cockpit drain meet the cockpit floor. These had previously leaked Like a cive because someone in their infinite wisdom tried to repair them with silastic. Anyway, another thing I have done is where the staunchans and other fittings mount to the deck where some or all of the fittings were mounted on the non skid sectiona, I shaped appropriate areas around them and ground the non slid back to smooth so there can now no longer be a chance of water congregating around the base of those fittings and can run off easily. More photos of that later on. Then I applied two coats of Norglass Shipshape 2 pack primer with roller, sanding between coats with 320 grit wet and dry and then final sanding with 400 grit ready for the Northane paint. (I have no shares or interest in these products but I must say the finish is really something else) ,be it spray, roller or roll and tip application.
The finish is astounding.
Also, a lot of gel cracking was in areas where high load was applied to deck fittings such as cleats and pushpit mounts so I will be replacing the 1/4 inch washers that were backing those bolts with large purpose made stainless plates to mount on the underside to spread the load more evenly.
Next jobs to do is to finish off the non skid areas fit new windows and start the complete refit. Still a way to go, but much closer now than at any time in the past.
20230302_155847.jpg
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Re: Progress slow but sure

Post by Ozzie »

Champion job Peter. The SS backing plates are a great idea. Because I am a cheap basket I used the broken hinge halves I replaced on the front hatch as backing plates for my boarding ladder :oops: :shock: Absolutely not as elegant as your solution but considerably better than washers and spread the load. I do have a considerable marine ply backing plate under my mooring bollard though.

The finish on the boat is amazing. Looking forward to further updates.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Peter T

Post by Peter T »

Thanks Ozzie. As you work away, month on month, you tend to wonder if it's all worth it, but I must say, it's starting to bring out a bit of pride now when I look at it from what it was. Thanks for your kind words. I just hope that I can inspire others to do good things to theirs as well and I am more than happy to end up with a very strong, great looking boat that should last for at least another 20 years Cheers
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Andrew
Investigator Boat Name: Teria

Post by Andrew »

Nice job Peter, shows what can be done.
About backing plates, i made a huge plywood backing plate inside the transom for my outboard bracket , perhaps plywood backing plates could be used in conjunction with the large stainless plates or washers.? (eg the chainplates on Teria have wooden backing blocks inside already installed for this high load area) The ply gives a softer outer edge, i'm guessing less chance of any cracks developing at the ply edge area (as compared to an unflexible steel plate?)
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Peter T

Post by Peter T »

Hi all, now have the non skid areas done. Quite happy with the results, especially the lack of gel cracks in the cockpit area. See below.
20230304_212615.jpg
20230304_212604.jpg
20230304_212529.jpg
20230304_212515.jpg
20230304_212400.jpg
20230304_212340.jpg
Screenshot_20230304_032528_Chrome.jpg
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

Peter T

Post by Peter T »

Another step closer.
Not much left to do on the outside now, then comes the inside.
20230425_114542.jpg
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114