Time for my I563's refurbishment

cruiserpete

Re: Time for my I563's refurbishment

Post by cruiserpete »

Thanks for the compliments :-)

Not sure about the doof doof system....and if I did install it I'd certainly not crank it loud around others... as I too HATE listening to others music loud...nothing worse than some idiot pulling up near you on the road with their stereo system cranked...it's like... Dude, what makes you think I want to listen to your music...
But every now and then.... I like to crank it loud plus I do like high quality and have never been a fan of 'clock radio' sound systems...

Rest assured, I've not yet decided on a doof doof system for the boat... but if I did, I'd always be well aware of others enjoyment of the ocean and its serenity.
cruiserpete

Post by cruiserpete »

Woo Hoo....

Im now the proud owner of a Brand Spanking New , 2013 Honda 5Hp - 4 stoke outboard. Complete with fuel tank (I can always do with a spare tank of fuel outboard), 3A charging kit, Cool 5 Year Guarantee and of course the obligatory Stubby holder, Honda Marine Cap and one cannot forget...a Honda Marine Pen :-)

I'll not be able to fire it up until the boat is ready, say, about Late November/Early December but the New Outboard now completes the "I feel safe" factor..
Safety factor 1: Replace all deck fittings, standing and running rigging to create a 'known' history (was just replace suspect looking fittings but that soon merged to ALL fittings)
Safety factor 2: replace all electrical equipment, adding new items such as, EPIRB, hand held VHF as well as inbuilt VHF etc, including replacing electrical wiring with new tinned wire
Safety factor 3: Invest in personal safety equipment, Jacklines, solo sailing harness & tether, New PFD etc
Safety factor 4: Invest in new outboard (Honda 5Hp looks to be enough grunt for the I563 )

My new Honda 5Hp :-)

And of course the essential Honda marine Stubby Holder, Cap and pen
cruiserpete

Post by cruiserpete »

UPDATE: Transom Inspection/work access port cutout.

Inspection port opening opposite the rudder pintles cut out and ready to install (after painting). I must admit the inspection port really allows fantastic access to the rudder pintle bolts and the mainsail sheet track.
I'm thinking of adding another set on pintles on the starboard side of the current ones as emergency. Yes, a bit of over kill but nice to have them there and they won't foul the current rudder set up. Found some really nice brushed aluminium/stainless steel ones that will also look nice.

I Used the long cutting bit (see photo) on my Dremel ($25 for the complete Dremel set from local 2nd hand store). The Dremel cutting bit is simply fantastic, easy to cut with, very easy to control the cutting accuracy. Not sure how thick the transom FG is but the Dremel tool cut through it very easily.

cruiserpete

Post by cruiserpete »

UPDATE: Final epoxy filling done, sanding done, abraded sanding with 180grit of entire deck area done and Hemple's 2 part light primer applied.

After masking the winch bases I Thought up a superb way to protect the gearing barrel by simply putting a plastic drinking cup that I use for mixing epoxy over the gearing barrel. It fits perfectly.

Hemple's 2 part light primer (grey)
The base is Hempel 45559 and the curing agent is Hempel 95360, mixed at 2:1.
I have a superb set of digital kitchen scales that I can 'zero' so I used this to measure the base/curing agent ratio because I'm unsure how much tolerance the ratio needs, so better safe than sorry.
The digital scales being able to 'zero' also meant that I can put an empty 2Ltr paint mixing bucket on and then zero the scales so when I added the base I was only reading the paint/primer weight. I started with 600g of base and then added 300g of curing agent until the scales read 900g. This used approx just over half the of the Hemple 1.5l base + .750 curing agent. The weather was sunny, 18c and importantly the humidity was under 65% (was at 54%)... with all the rain recently I've been delaying applying the primer because humidity has been up in the high 90% to 104%
Lastly, the primer was super thick because it had sat around for a while so after 30 minutes of using a stirring stick I gave up jumped into the car and promptly went to my local hardware store and bought a drill mixing attachment. Stuck my drill on Low, made sure the mixer was inserted into the paint/curing agent and then in no time both were mixed....

The Grey primer V's the original white (in the interior)

Only managed to get 3/5th of the boat painted in primer so should have enough from the 2.25Ltr to finish off. A bit concerned that the similar quantities I have in 2 part - Glossy top coat might only give me 1 coat. Might need to thin but then it's only a Max of 10% thinner but will cross that bridge when I get to it.
Weather is fine ans sunny tomorrow so will finish off priming allow it to cure over weekend and then apply top coat start of next week.

Cheers, Pete
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

Peter, well done mate . Thanks also again for such detailed descriptions and photos. Personally , I think if you are posting here you can never give enough detail and yours is great.

As an ex designer, I've not felt motivated to touch any CADD stuff since I retied but I've realized that for these forums, and TSP ( see Zebedee's stuff ), it may have a use so I've bought myself a basic CADD for Mac program just for making diagrams etc for sailing bits. Have to keep up your high standard now ;)

Can't wait to see the final finish.

Good to see all these old investigators getting a new lease on life . I'm sure Ian Shepard would be chuffed to think his creation was being recycled for a new generation. More power to your paint brushes. :)
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
cruiserpete

Post by cruiserpete »

Finally got the 2 pack - polyurethane painting done (Hemple - 2.25l, Polybest 2 pack - white). First coat went on a week ago just rolled on, sanded back yesterday to abate the surface and today I got the 2nd and final coat on.

I rolled on and tipped off. This is the first time I've done anything like this and I'm pretty happy, is it perfect No, could a professional have done a better job, yes I would hope so. Importantly, am I happy with yes, dammed yes I am... it came up fantastically and other than 2 run (which I'll sand out and buff it looks great).

I was nervous about rolling and tipping but after watching numerous Youtube videos and knowing my preparation was superb I went for it.

Here are the results: This is the cockpit only but the deck has a similar gloss level, although as mentioned the deck gloss level will be somewhat subdued when the blue Matt non slip is painted.

The complete deck is gloss white however, once I get the blue non slip down it will counter the gloss and add a nice contrast plus importantly a signal to any deck hands on where its safest to stand (on the Blue lol) Once the Blue non slip is down start of next weekend I'll start reassembling her end of next weekend as it's a long weekend. Hopefully, she will be ready to launch not long after. I really want to be on the water by start of school holidays so interior refurbishment is on hold. I'll still install the essential items, Navigation lights, Interior lights, VHF, EPIRB, and batteries/ basic electrical system.

The gas cooker, nav area, solar panels, MPPT regulator, Amp/Volt meter, sounder, Mast head wind speed & direction display and full electrical system will get added as the year progressed and time allows.

A new job I've added to my list is to install a second forestay, one for furler and one for mast. I've purchased a new mast hound, larger Barton furler than the stock Ronstan furler and a Ronstan RF1247 swivel with forestay guard.

The Ronstan swivel guard

The Barton furler set up, although I'll use the Ronstan swivel guard at the top of the forestay area to keep the spacing between furled sail and forestay:

Cheers, all
Pete
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

Bump.
Just looking for some old photos in the archives and thought I should bump this thread by past member Cruiser Pete. This was a great refit and has a plethora of terrific reference photographs for newer members. We have some good rebuilding going on more recently and they are also terrific reference material but this one from 2013 took the forum to a new level . Suggestion would be add them to your hard drive for easy access. Pete has photos in many nooks and crannies. Overall this makes my last haulout thread look like an “empty the ash trays” exercise.

Pete drops in occasionally. He went to a larger boat but still loved his 563 and you can tell by the effort he put into this refit and these posts. Pete if you are reading this thanks again for this great thread. New members should give this a a quiz if you have not done so yet.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Peter T
Investigator Boat Name: Sail- La- Vie

Post by Peter T »

Thank you Ozzie for bumping this thread. It is exactly what I am doing to mine as we speak. It is one hell of a lot of work. Once complete, I shall put up a post relating to it. Cheers
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."