Xmas message from ageing mod😳

General Sailing Talk
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Xmas message from ageing mod😳

Post by Ozzie »

Seems like I last did this yesterday :lol:

Well, well, here we are almost another year done and in just over a month, St Nick will sail down the chimney with boating booty galore for the family. It will come in a blink.

Despite the quiet times, very quiet at times on the forum, we still seem to attract new members so someone is reading us🤓if you ever look down at the bottom of the index page you will see this kinda stuff…

Total posts 7672 • Total topics 1209 • Total members 261 .

Given we are basically a one design forum, that’s not a bad little catalogue of boating info and a long browse for new members. Mrs Ozzie and I have now had Spritzig II for 18 years and as usual at this time of year, lament that we have not used her more in the past 12 months and always resolve to rectify that in the next. Sometimes we succeed, but even if we only make it out half a dozen times a season we still enjoy it and are grateful we can.

The boat now owes us nothing and is still the best “value for money” recreational toy we have owned. The mooring makes it a picnic spot as well as a fishing platform, escape room, blah blah, you know the song. The sailing is the icing on the cake. I was talking it over with an old non sailing mate last week and mentioned “under sail” was one, if the few times, I really disconnect and truly relax.

Age 70 is rushing up rather quickly although still in the distance and many of my friends are there already. We are hopeful health problems won’t get in the way of getting a few more seasons out of Spritz before passing her on to the next owners. Time will tell. In August, a close friend suffered a major medical crisis. He is now, miraculously, still alive, facing life in a wheelchair but putting a superhuman effort into rehabilitation. He’s only 68. It makes you realise how lucky you can be to enjoy reasonable health, the simple pleasures of a vintage sailing boat and not waking up with bombs raining down on you from the madman just up the road. Message I guess, is enjoy every day on the water.

To all those who may have been affected by our current weather and flooding disasters, some of which we have witnessed first hand recently in our travels, we hope you get some relief and recovery over the Christmas period and a better 2023.

Thanks to Geoff for moderating and minding the electrons and electronics that make the continuation of this little forum possible. Thanks to our other mods, Ray and Emrys for their support and input and thanks for all contributions and most excellent advice from members. Thanks also to those that don’t post but still show up for a squiz. That little readout at the bottom of the page means we are not talking to ourselves so we are keeping on posting and sailing….from Sunday 20th…..

‪WHO IS ONLINE‬
In total there are 21 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 19 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 138 on Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:26 am

As per the usual diatribe from me at this time of the year we are staying off the road as much as possible. It’s safer over Xmas with your hand on the tiller than your foot on the accelerator. Full sails, fair winds, take care and enjoy your family, your boats and the festive season. Get well Michael.

Ozzie and crew, Dec 2022
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Andrew
Investigator Boat Name: Teria

Re: Xmas message from ageing mod😳

Post by Andrew »

Well said Ozzie, and wishing everyone a good summer boating season too.

It's been great to check out this forum or do a few posts during the year. Haven't done much sailing, due to family commitments taking over (and the health issue thing too, rehabilitating a frozen shoulder), hopefully better luck next round ;)
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Watto
Investigator Boat Name: Ex - Fathom #82

Post by Watto »

Cheers to all and hopefully we get a great season this year.

As you know I’m upgrading to a 27ft keel boat which i hope to enjoy with my family and extended family(FIL has caught the bug). I do love the investigators and plan to continue to use these forums as all the information is transferable.

Jeez now I feel like not selling fathom but the new owner is super keen and I hope he gets to enjoy it to the fullest.
Luke

-previously-
Fathom
Investigator sail #82
Geoff
Investigator Boat Name: #50 Timeless

Post by Geoff »

Thanks Ozzie,

Sorry to be so tardy with a reply. This tab has been open in my browser for a month. :roll:

I will proffer excuses of course. We have put the house on the market so we move to Hervey Bay so I can sail more often. That is a good thing.

But I have a 40’ and 20’ container in the backyard full of all the bits from the rural property we left to become townies 8 years ago. I have been promising to clean them out for 8 years and now I have to. 40’ nearly done, 1 to go.

I am finding things I don’t remember having. Of course anything I have needed in the last 8 years I have bought anyway, so almost everything is replicated. Now I don’t have to borrow power tools off my mate any more, I have multiples.

Some spanners I have 10 of in each size. But when you are a mean cocky, you don’t like to throw much away…

I have managed to sneak in a few sailings, one to Hervey Bay which was beaut. Love this forum. I managed to get some maintenance and (subjective) improvements done. I will put up a few posts about them soon for peer review and comment. Reading others’ threads where they have done similar is just the best help you could get.

Thanks to all contributors, whether starting topics or posting replies. Special thanks to our 3 champion mods – Ozzie, Emrys and Ray.

Anyway, best to all. Stay safe and enjoy the year end as best you can.
Geoff
Investigator #50 'Timeless'
Investigator #111 'Missy'

As the engineer said, "sure it works in practice, but will it work in theory?"
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

montoman wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:03 pm We have put the house on the market so we move to Hervey Bay so I can sail more often. That is a good thing.
Too right Geoff! Anything that gets you on the water more :)

I have been “ downsizing” for years and it will take me a few more . My plan is if we do move into smaller accommodation we won’t have much to move . Won’t work but it’s a plan. :lol:

All the best for your sale .
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)