Post by Huey G.O.W »

Hi team,

Found this on Boatsales $9000 in Gorokan, central coast NSW

https://www.boatsales.com.au/boats/deta ... D-13988650
Raya
Investigator Boat Name: Tme Out

Re: Hull number #31 NSW

Post by Raya »

This was the Investigator in the infamous "Sundiver" youtube video where the mast snagged a tree branch when launched. It is worth googling if the video is still around.
$_20.JPG
Ray
Investigator #39
Geoff
Investigator Boat Name: #50 Timeless

Post by Geoff »

Yes it's still there Ray. His youtube channel is called 1sundiver.

I don't know if he is a forum member.

Some youtube footage of him learning to launch and then some of sailing in the Whitsundays/Bowen areas.

Interesting strapping to trailer? I haven't seen any other run their strap over the coachroof, and its the only strap on there. Maybe others do it this way too?

Got from Gosford (I think) to North Qld OK, apparently.

Same ad as the boatsales one was on FB marketplace but looks like its pulled down.
Geoff
Investigator #50 'Timeless'
Investigator #111 'Missy'

As the engineer said, "sure it works in practice, but will it work in theory?"
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

I checked out the unfortunate launching accident video guys. It would have been pretty discouraging for the launcher. On my favourite subject, it’s another example of councils putting in such facilities who would appear to have very limited knowledge of how they are used. Trees should be lopped well back from a boat ramp for the safe use of sail craft.

The geniuses who installed one local ramp here didn’t stabilise the rock wall at the end. The major ramp has no jetty and as many rocks have fallen into the water you now have to wade out into deep water with your dinghy to let it clear the rocks, to park your boat on the adjacent sand and then go park your trailer. The water is too deep to let, say a teenage child or short adult do it without them getting their clothes wet.

It’s not rocket science. I pointed it out to two rangers hoeing into their pies. “Yeeeeh , not our job maaate , ring the council chambers “ A lot of dough is harvested from boating fees/taxes to install and maintenance this stuff. They could at least do it right in the first place and do ongoing upkeep. Pretty obvious from that YouTube clip that from the size of that tree branch it was never done in the first place 🤬

My kids say I’m becoming a grumpy old man. I get lots of reasons to practice
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Watto
Investigator Boat Name: Ex - Fathom #82

Post by Watto »

I once did a mast up launch from double bay and clipped a free trees. From then on it was done on the water.
Luke

-previously-
Fathom
Investigator sail #82
Huey G.O.W

Post by Huey G.O.W »

Yes interesting I saw that video of the mast hitting the trees.

It was very generous of Sundiver to post it to YouTube because who is willing to show their fails.

1Sundiver might have been thinking of the average trailer sailer yachty of one of the pitfalls to look out for when launching.

I really felt sorry for him.

I agree that it shows councils are sometimes lacking. A little research goes a long way.

The council may have had the best intentions because it ticks the boxes for mainly powered vessels, no complaints there lol
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

It’s more a bit like council building someone a garage, not putting a roof on ….then telling the owner “but you can still get a car in there!” :lol:
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)