Peter T
Investigator Boat Name: Sail- La- Vie

Getting back on board

Post by Peter T »

Found this the other day, thought it worth sharing
FB_IMG_1653210228018.jpg
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Andrew
Investigator Boat Name: Teria

Re: Getting back on board

Post by Andrew »

Great technique Peter, it could save someone's life one day, especially on boats without boarding ladders or if the MOB's (or WOB?) having difficulties. Quick and easy to rig up too.
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

This could be further enhanced by placing an oar or spinnaker pole through the railing and down the side of the boat to hold the rope out and away from the curve and preventing the user’s weight from pushing the rope under the boat. Before I fitted my boarding ladder I had a small plank on a rope loop that hung deep in the water and was attached to the taffrail near the built in notches on the stern. The above was a problem.

Still, a good alternative to consider. I’ll give it a try…when summer comes lol.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Peter T

Post by Peter T »

The other thing that can be done is to use a cleat at the fixed end of the rope and add the use of a sheet winch at the other end. Then, once the person overboard has a good hand hold on the boat or another rope, the winch could be used to get the person's feet high enough to enable them to clamber assisted back on board. Obviously this would be made easier once the life lines had been released.
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

Good point Peter. I replaced the top lifeline with spectra last haulout, partly because they could be cut quickly in an emergency. I have pelican clips forward for easy drop at the pointy end . This year I intended to do the lower lines as well or at least put a spectra loop at the end that can be cut quickly.

For all techniques.
It’s relevant that all the steps required to get whatever MOB proceedings started are AQAP. The longer your subject stays in the water the weaker or colder they may become and less able to assist in their own recovery. It’s interesting the current weather forecast for winter indicates brass monkeys will be mentioned often. And that’s NSW . :shock:
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Peter T

Post by Peter T »

Yes Ozzie and even in Qld where we are now for a few months, the water temp is not that warm at the moment. The quicker the retrieval can be executed, the better. We all should practice this procedure in ideal conditions so that it is more likely that we would be able to do it when things go horribly wrong. Nothing like being prepared as the old Sea Scouts say. It's certainly more difficult than you would think
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

https://www.afloat.com.au/feature/dont-fall-overboard/

This is a story/lesson by the Pardys on mob from the archives of “Afloat” it’s quite a scary construct and not quite so relevant to TSing although many forumites are now coastal cruising so really worth a read. Spoiler ..it has a happy ending. The use of electronics is a feature and not everyone has them even these days.

Emrys, sorry for content :shock: im thinking of changing my avatar to Marvin the Paranoid Android from Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy :lol:
2286556F-B0D4-43A4-AEBB-0EDED4CD96EF.jpeg
2286556F-B0D4-43A4-AEBB-0EDED4CD96EF.jpeg (4.31 KiB) Viewed 1371 times
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Andrew
Investigator Boat Name: Teria

Post by Andrew »

It would be a good idea to get crew to practise the MOB retrieval methods. Always nice to have experienced crew aboard.
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria