Peter T
Investigator Boat Name: Sail- La- Vie

Early Investigator in Victoria

Post by Peter T »

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/doveton ... VIP_sticky
Boat called Andromeda. Think it's around NO 30
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Paddy
Investigator Boat Name: The answer my friend...

Re: Early Investigator in Victoria

Post by Paddy »

Hi Peter.
My girlfriend is the proud new owner of this little beauty.
She needs a bit of work, but i am quite handy around a boat. I have some great ideas got some good advice from reading through this forum, thank you.

Is there any other 563's sailing around Port Phillip Bay, I am in Williamstown. I have just bought a new mast for the boat, as the original one was missing 500mm off the bottom.

If anyone around here would be happy to let me have a sticky beak at there rig, please get in touch.

Paddy and Anna
Two very excited investigator owners
Peter T
Investigator Boat Name: Sail- La- Vie

Post by Peter T »

Hi Paddy and Anna. Great to see this boat will get a new life. Good luck with your restoration. If I can be of any help, just ask away. I hope there is someone close to you that can let you check out their rig.
It might pay to create a new post either in general discussion or the technical articles sections of the forum with an appropriate heading so other members will get an idea of what your needs are.
Cheers
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

Welcome folks, good to see new members and old boats getting a new lease on life. The following thread…

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1210&p=7870&hilit=F ... gram#p7870

…has a good interaction on various rigging stuff but mainly check the furler diagram. This is often the most confusing rigging to new owners. This is actually a compass 18 furler rig which was arguably the “standard “ original setup on the 563 but has been much modified by many owners. I still use it a bit but use a conventional jib halyard as well.

The search function on the top right will turn up lots of info on rigging but don’t be afraid to ask the same questions over or start a new thread if you wish. We are all here to spread the experience we’ve had with the boat and help where possible . These are great, good fun boats and I’m sure you will not regret your purchase.

Maybe you can keep your old short mast and experiment with alternative sail setups as you progress . Nobody’s done a junk rigged Investigator yet!! Or a lug sail.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)