Cockpit lockers

Watto
Investigator Boat Name: Ex - Fathom #82

Cockpit lockers

Post by Watto »

So I’m getting some rain water in one of my cockpit lockers.

Was wondering if anyone has a good solution to get them sealed? What to use etc.
Luke

-previously-
Fathom
Investigator sail #82
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Re: Cockpit lockers

Post by Ozzie »

Hi Luke, it can be a problem and various solutions have been used over the years. There are many rubber pinch seal profiles available, even at the green shed which is cheaper than marine dealers. My solution was to glue rectangular section soft rubber into the channel that the hatch edge closes into. Worked to a degree but mine perished long ago and needs replacing. I only put buckets, line and such in the locker these days so not a problem. My starb’d locker is dry normally anyway , must be a slight list to Port on the mooring.

Ian B in a previous post on the subject suggested from memory that the hinges have to be raised/packed to lift the hatch slightly if using a pinch seal on the hatch opening. Others may have some good input. Try the forum search function for hatch or cockpit , may turn something up.

Also try ‘Practical Boat Owner’ forum. It’s a wealth of info and the Brits shine in dealing with rain! Good luck.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)