Cockpit floor covering

General Sailing Talk
IanS
Investigator Boat Name: Rhythm

Cockpit floor covering

Post by IanS »

Hi Folks, I thought I recalled seeing this topic before but couldn't find it. I have click-together plastic mesh squares on the cockpit floor that came with the boat. I like the way they keep my feet dry and out of the dust that sometimes accumulates in the cockpit. They are slowly disintegrating and I'm on the lookout for something very similar to replace them with.

Any ideas?
Cockpit floor - 2.jpg
Cockpit floor - 1.jpg
Cheers, Ian
Ian, Rhythm #121
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Re: Cockpit floor covering

Post by Ozzie »

Clark Rubber have lots of similar but not the same stuff Ian. I once looked at this stuff from there but was not sure of its durability so let it go. Check their site.
868B2489-1AB3-40F7-BE0F-E7F61B976042.jpeg
I also bought of gumtree some second hand timber bath floor grids but they were a little small so I put them in the lockers where they keep the tank and gear boxes from sliding around and scraping my painted lazaretto.

I still like the idea if a timber slat grid cockpit floor.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
IanS
Investigator Boat Name: Rhythm

Post by IanS »

Thanks Ozzie, I'll check it out. The stuff I have is good because it's a rigid PVC supported by a grid of round pegs that hold it up and allow the water to flow freely underneath. I wonder if a lattice might tend to hold the water in it. Anyway, I'll keep looking and report back.
Ian
Ian, Rhythm #121
Peter T
Investigator Boat Name: Sail- La- Vie

Post by Peter T »

I am also looking for something similar, I know you can get the Vinalite in black, grey and blue. It's around 920 mm wide and ranges around $82 per meter which adds up to pricey by the time you do the cockpit floor as well as both locker floors. Would love to find something a bit cheaper if anyone comes across anything. Would be great in the lockers though as it would stop the fuel tank and things from sliding around and scratching everything. I don't like the idea of that hard plastic squares as I reckon it would damage the fibreglass underneath it.
Cheers
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Post by Ozzie »

As mentioned I have some thin timber bathroom grids in my gear locker but I think carpet tiles would also do ok. We have several carpet tiles I picked up of the council throw out. We use them as door mats for the motor home They seem almost bullet proof. I actually pressure hose them and expected them to disintegrate long ago . Not happening. I then realised the flat floor that came on the trailer I got with my poly cat dinghy is covered with carpet tiles which I had thought was marine carpet , these are outside 24/7 and are fine .

I’ve no idea If all carpet tiles are this tough but anyway these are. Local carpet merchants in Newcastle sell ex commercial lifted carpet tiles all the time for as little as $2 each , so I may get some for Spritzig. Would definitely do inside and lockers and maybe even in the cockpit.
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Peter T
Investigator Boat Name: Sail- La- Vie

Post by Peter T »

Thanks Ozzie
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."