Ramp Reports

General Sailing Talk
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Re: Ramp Reports

Post by Ozzie »

Hi Greg. Thanks for info. The links for photos were connecting to your site but not the specific pics. Could you possibly just copy them onto the thread. Cheers Ozzie
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

Andrew mentioned turning circles for the 563 on his thread about doing his driveway. Coincidentally we took Grizelgutz for a walk yesterday down past the refurbished Pelican boat ramp and had a chat to a member of the local fishing club retrieving his probably 14’ tinnie. He noted that geometry of the driveway is so sharp that he can’t pull straight into the rigging area and be aligned to just back in. He needs three shuffling manoeuvres. I took a look and he’s not kidding. See map.

Trying to not sound like a broken record here but nuts how a brand new (last year) facility like this could be designed like this. There are much larger boats than his using this ramp and it must be even more difficult.

I have not done a ramp report here as it is in the worst tidal flow on the whole lake and I would not recommend it for investigators. If you do want to sail out through the heads which I’m also not recommending due to the bar, both the Swansea ramp opposite and Blacksmiths ramp east of the bridge are in protected inlets. You will still be wrestling with Neptune but at least head first
22E0CE00-448E-41B0-BA5E-38CDEE76194F.jpeg
Sorry best resolution I could get
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Andrew
Investigator Boat Name: Teria

Post by Andrew »

Dungeness Boat Ramp, Lucinda, North Queensland

Destinations are Hinchinbrook Island (South) , Palm Islands and Great Barrier reef.

https://www.google.com.au/maps/place/Pu ... gIgARICCAI

The ramp now has a centre-line floating dock (exit street view) There's a good long rigging up lane next to the public amenities.
Plenty of car-trailer park space with floodlights. Dungeness harbour (Herbert River) has a good overnight anchorage area near the ramp, though this can be popular.
After hauling out there is a washdown hose bay, and a separate derigging lane.

Here is a link to my blog http://teria563.blogspot.com/2016/01/su ... eness.html
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Raya
Investigator Boat Name: Tme Out

Post by Raya »

Cooktown Boat Ramp - North Queensland

Came across this ramp recently. It's a bit remote, but the sailing looks terrific. The ramp is one of the best I've come across with two lanes and a centre floating dock. Parking is adequate and there were no Jet Ski trailers hogging the spaces. Much better than what I have to contend with.

The road to Cooktown is all bitumen but it is a long way from anywhere. Andrew might be within striking distance (670km) but way too far for me.

The ramp is adjacent to where Cook beached the Endeavour. There are numerous signs warning of crocodiles so care would be needed when launching.
Cooktown boat ramp_1.jpg
Cooktown boat ramp_2.jpg
Cooktown boat ramp_3.jpg
Ray
Investigator #39
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Thanks for the Cooktown ramp report Ray,

Northernmost I563 ramp on East coast? Lizard Island possibly could be reached from there, it has a protected anchorage. and on charts/google earth there looks like a couple of headlands for shelter on the the way up and back. Bill once mentioned he sailed secret chord there, so its possible.

I'm Interested in trying out Port Hinchinbrook ramp first, at Cardwell. It covers the North end of Hinchinbrook Isd and would provide some shelter from strong SE trades when blowing. But Recently had allot of hot humid Northerlies - NE , La Nina weather year, plus its wet season "buildup" in Nov, (only for the hardy)

my AIS vessel tracking app shows that most visiting yachts are sailing southbound at present, They're using the favourable winds to sail south of the cyclone belt before November/December the start of cyclone season. (Still a fair fleet of yachties at Lizard Island lagoon though.)
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Ozzie

Post by Ozzie »

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/ho ... 4.6/zoom:9

For those who have not used it before there is online AIS. You can click on individual vessels fir ID.

App is better I’d say
CC98D591-7BC7-4E08-ABCF-5156F686308A.png
Ozzie

Waterworld (1995)
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Found a good website with public boat ramp locations around Australia.

https://coastalventures.com.au/boat-ramps/australia/ (it's a boat hire company in Sth Qld)

Might be handy for scouting out new ramps to launch from. Public floating pontoons and public jetties are also marked. Generally ramps with these might be more suitable for I563's. The satellite view detail helps allot, to see if waters deep enough, the trailer-car parks are good and if the location is sheltered or not.
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria