Beaching investigators

General Sailing Talk
Peter T
Investigator Boat Name: Sail- La- Vie

Re: Beaching investigators

Post by Peter T »

Well Andrew, I really do believe it best to protect the bottom edge of the keel. The last thing anyone would want is to have to do the repairs that I have had to do to remove all that water from the lead compartment, dry it all out, fibreglass the inside bottom of the keel, re install the lead and re fibreglass the bottom outside of the keel. Its a hell of a lot of work which takes so much time to dry it all out. So much better to not damage the bottom of the keel in the first place is the way I see it, although, I reckon I have ended up with a much better, stronger boat for having to have done all that work.
I must do a search for that blog and have a read
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Peter T

Post by Peter T »

Found that blog Andrew, brilliant read
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Andrew
Investigator Boat Name: Teria

Post by Andrew »

Yes, im reading through Allagais blog from start of their trip. and when they were up north. The AIS position locator page great, saw they were anchored here so kayaked out to say hi.

Attached are 2 other wylo2's beached with legs on. Ive met the black hulled original wylo2 (designer, my photo) three times while dried out in Bay of Islands, Nz (years ago). The red hull pic ("Kallisto") by early owners who wrote a web story about the building and south pacific cruise.

Getting back, My I563 keel base is a bit scratched up, could do with a bit of filler at least,
Attachments
Wylo2_beaching legs.jpg
Kallisto Beaching legs.jpg
Andrew

Investigator #9 Teria
Peter T

Post by Peter T »

Yes Andrew, Thickened epoxy would be the go for that mate. Cheers
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114