Retreive-a-mate, highly recommended.

General Sailing Talk
TheMonk

Retreive-a-mate, highly recommended.

Post by TheMonk »

Hello all, I fitted the WW cheapo copy of the Retrieve-a-mate to my trailer and used it thru the week. With a + 10 knot breeze blowing at right angles to the boat and single handed this thing makes loading so much easier. It takes away any apprehension of getting the boat out, especially if your one-out or with little kids. Well worth spending the $140.
John
geoffr

Re: Retreive-a-mate, highly recommended.

Post by geoffr »

Hi John:

This sounds very interesting. Any chance of a pic or two in action please?

Many thanks,

Geoff
Geoff
Investigator 563 'QUMBU'
Geelong, Victoria, Australia
TheMonk

Post by TheMonk »

Hi Geoff, I don't know quite how to download photos yet. Basically I purchased the cheapo version of the Retreive-a-mate, the Chinese knock-off is $140, the ridgie-didge version is $350. Both sold at WW, the expensive one is galvanized and is probably better all round.

The device is in two parts, you simply position it in place, drill 6 holes in the rear most cross member of the trailer and bolt it on. Obviously a photo speaks volumes so I must get my head around posting photos.

Anyway the winds blowing, I nosed the boat at an angle into the wind and onto the trailer, at about 45 degrees. The device, basically a spring loaded V shaped thing grabbed the front and insures it runs up the centre of the trailer. Then with the outboard running and turned slightly to compensate the wind I get down off the boat, grab the winch strap and pull her up. When she's basically set to pull right out, I jump up and turn off the motor, dead easy!

Couldn't be happier with it, simple to launch and now simple to retrieve too. I guess the only thing I feel uncomfortable with is drilling into the gal' trailer but I painted the exposed holes prior to bolting it in.

John
Yara50

Post by Yara50 »

I have the genuine Aussie version, and it works well, but so did the side wobble rollers I first fitted. http://www.investigator563.com/forum/vi ... p?f=4&t=75

I intended the retrievermate to be used for power loading as you have described. However, how did you get down from the boat when it was half on the trailer? Having broken my leg just getting off the boat when it was fully on the trailer on the road, I am a little cautious now, but would be really interested in your technique. It sounds like a good answer to single handed retrieve when there is no chance to walk the boat to the trailer.
Ian B
Ex Investigator 563 #50 Yara
TheMonk

Post by TheMonk »

Hi Ian, I'd reversed the trailer down so the water level is just below the trailer bearings, not too deep. Then I climb off the side of the boat about amidships, hang on and step down onto the trailer mud guards. Dart up to the front, grab the hook and winch away.

I didn't power load, just kept the engine running to keep the nose in until I could hook it up.

John