Boat Number 47

General Sailing Talk
Manango
Investigator Boat Name: RIPPLE

Boat Number 47

Post by Manango »

I purchased my 563 about 18 months ago and have really only now started to get into the work that needs to be done. I bought the boat from the Lake Macquarie area and its name was RIPPLE. I will be keeping this name, but I have only just had a good look at the sails and was pleasantly surprised when I found a number on the Mainsail. I was told the boat had no number and I could not find one in any of the usual places.
I would be interested to know if anyone has already laid claim to number 47.
The Main is in surprisingly good condition with only a few minor problems to be sorted out like some of the eyelets needing to be replaced. It has 4 x sewn in half battens, two slab reef points and a large number 47 as well as the Investigator logo on the sail. No registration number on the boat, but it does have a HIN.
She has been anti fouled and that is my first job to get all that off. The Centerboard, or what was left of it has been chucked and I have had a new one made. There are no gunwales on her and I will be putting spotted gum gunwales on after the hull has been cleaned off and painted. Currently she is blocked up and hanging on straps in my shed until I finish overhauling the trailer and painting the hull.
As I was under the understanding that the sails were not in good shape, I was pleasantly surprised, especially with the main, but I am still looking for a asym kite and a furling Genoa. I have no plans to register her as I intend to use an existing 4HP LS Yammy O/B and most of my sailing will be in enclosed waters, thus not required to have her registered.
One point that may be contentious, I am also looking at putting a small bowsprit on her to carry the asym or code 0, genaker, drifter, or whatever people are calling them.
But getting back to the original point, if anyone has any knowledge of anyone claiming to have a divvy on #47 please let me know, if not I will put claim to that number.
Rick
Rick Huntley

Project Boat "RIPPLE" under modification - Tow vehicle Ford Wagon or if the boss lets me a Subaru Forester Nanango QLD (approx 200Km NNW of Brissie)
Raya
Investigator Boat Name: Tme Out

Re: Boat Number 47

Post by Raya »

Rick,

No one has laid claim to No 47. Your description of the mainsail is per the originals. The build number did not usually feature on the boat unless the owner was a member of the Investigator Yacht Association in which case the number was affixed the stern with the IYA prefix. Some owners have found the boat number written in pencil underneath the Good Design Plate on the bulkhead. (These plates started appearing around boat 50.) The position of your bilge pump outlet indicates that it was one of the first 50 produced, so 47 looks right. From the photos I have of Ripple when it was last advertised, it appears to have a two hinge hatch which would indicate a later build. Have a look at the hatch and see if it was modified from the one hinge design. If this was the case, then I'd say that Ripple is definitely number 47.

I've never seen an Investigator with a bowsprit before but I reckon it might just look pretty good.
Ray
Investigator #39
Manango

Post by Manango »

Thanks for the reply Ray,
Good news re this is the first claim for #47.
I initially thought you were referring to the fore deck anchor well hatch, but now realise that you w ere talking about the front cabin hatch. I will check that out later today and let you know.
Regards
Last edited by Manango on Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rick Huntley

Project Boat "RIPPLE" under modification - Tow vehicle Ford Wagon or if the boss lets me a Subaru Forester Nanango QLD (approx 200Km NNW of Brissie)
Raya
Investigator Boat Name: Tme Out

Post by Raya »

Rick,

I was referring to the hinges on the front cabin hatch.
Ray
Investigator #39
Greg
Investigator Boat Name: Law and Disorder

Post by Greg »

I’ve been thinking about a asymmetrical for my boat recently after seeing another (not Investigator) boat that had a Y shaped flip up bowsprit that pivots at the bow roller. Flips upwards out of the way when trailered and is easily pinned down via a small wire to the ubolt for the trailer hook. Looked like a great idea, but like all ideas require money and time of which I have very little these days.......
Greg
Investigator #10 - Law & Disorder
Sydney

https://www.facebook.com/lawanddisorder563/
https://www.instagram.com/sv_lawanddisorder/
Manango

Post by Manango »

Spot on Ray.
It definitely looks like it could have been a single hinge. Changing to a double hinge may explain why the hatch does not open cleanly. Currently when you try and open the hatch it squeaks and the hatch binds on the cabin top. I w.ill probably look at going back to a single hinge or delve deeper to work out what works best
Thanks once again, looks like it might indeed be 47.
Regards Rick
Attachments
rsz_img_20210418_170040.jpg
Rick Huntley

Manango

Post by Manango »

Just ordered a couple of second hand sails. A furling headsail, and a flat cut sysmetrical kite that should work well off a bowsprit. In addition, I found a second hand half decent furler, and have done a lot more investigation re a DIY bowsprit.
The last item, the bowsprit will have to wait until I can raise the mast and work out a few measurements. My shed is big, but only 5.5 metres high, so boat has to go back onto the trailer and move it outside to proceed with this. I am reasonably confidant that I will be able to work out a good bowsprit design and I have a few favors owing with a local engineering mob so welding up something will not be a problem. When I get onto it I will post details.
Rick Huntley

Watto
Investigator Boat Name: Ex - Fathom #82

Post by Watto »

Manango wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:42 pm I have no plans to register her as I intend to use an existing 4HP LS Yammy O/B and most of my sailing will be in enclosed waters, thus not required to have her registered..
Rick
What state you in? In nsw the length of the investigator makes it require registration even with 5hp or less. 5 meters is the limit
Luke

-previously-
Fathom
Investigator sail #82
Geoff
Investigator Boat Name: #50 Timeless

Post by Geoff »

Rick is in Qld. 4hp or less means no rego needed. A 4hp long shaft is gold for trailer sailer owners here.
Geoff
Investigator #50 'Timeless'
Investigator #111 'Missy'

As the engineer said, "sure it works in practice, but will it work in theory?"