Racing on Parramatta River PRSC Winter Series

General Sailing Talk
Greg
Investigator Boat Name: Law and Disorder

Racing on Parramatta River PRSC Winter Series

Post by Greg »

Had Law&Disorder out for its first sail since the year off for painting and the 100 other things that needed fixing. I had intended in joining race 3 of the Parramatta River Sailing Club winter season but was having a few issues with my setup and thought it better I sort it out first, ended up missing the start.

It did get me thinking that it would be nice to see some Investigators out there or maybe the community should have a yearly meetup for a social race/play on the water. Would anyone else be interested in this?
Greg
Investigator #10 - Law & Disorder
Sydney

https://www.facebook.com/lawanddisorder563/
https://www.instagram.com/sv_lawanddisorder/
Peter T
Investigator Boat Name: Sail- La- Vie

Re: Racing on Parramatta River PRSC Winter Series

Post by Peter T »

Hi Greg. I must say mate, looking at your video, your boat is looking really smick. What did you use to paint the top sides and what process? Brush, roller, spray? Thanks
How about posting that video here . Cheers
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Greg

Post by Greg »

Hi Peter, thanks for the compliment!!

Rolled on Norglass 2 pack expoxy with 3 coats of over and under coats. Unfortunately I had to do it in the street during springtime last year, every time I rolled a coat on all the bugs and bees would fly into it so I had to sand back every coat to get their paw prints out. The 3 coats caused some paint stress in some areas too which is a real shame. Either way it looks no less than 1 million times better than it has in the past ten years. The evafoam on the cockpit seats is the highlight I cannot recommend this stuff enough.

Can’t upload the video but here is a photo:

I’ve made an Instagram account specifically for the boat @sv_lawanddisorder if you want to check out the videos. I also #investigator563 with all my boat posts as do a few other owners which is worth a search on Instagram as well.
Attachments
Lawanddisorder
Lawanddisorder
Greg
Sydney

Peter T

Post by Peter T »

Thanks Greg. Did you add that rudder? I really like the idea of a drop down rudder rather that a swing type. Are you happy with it and did it alter the helm at all if you did change it from standard ? I love your boat, it's a real credit to you mate and I will definitely be going with the stick on teak. So sensible. Also hope it will be wide and long enough to do the cabin sole as well. I am away from home at the moment enjoying some warmth up on the sunshine Coast so will be getting right into it when we get back home. Very nice
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Greg

Post by Greg »

The rudder on L&D was installed by a previous owner and the original must have been lost. I’d be curious to see the difference too. The previous owner had it on a mooring and the tip had rot in it so I had to trim around an inch off it. I also glassed in the leading edge and tip while I was at it.

As for the helm I can definitely report that without the centreboard down it really gripes up. However as of yesterday in 10-15knots with a few bullets she is actually pretty balanced with the centreboard down (on a slight angle aft). We were close hauled in a pretty heavy line of wind and I was steering the boat through the lifts with my pinkie finger to the crews amazement. Even getting hit with a few bullets, dropped the main down a few inches and never felt out of control. Felt fast (for an Investigator) and pointed up as well as I’d hoped.

There’s 2 advantages of this setup as well, both play the same way by raising the rudder up so only half the area is in the water. First it makes motoring around a lot easier to steer. Secondly less drag on downwind runs. I have the lift rope rigged to the tiller so I can quickly drop it as we turn back up into the wind. The disadvantage is that if you happen to run into a shallow spot while the centreboard will bounce up out of the way the rudder will not. But that’s a story for another post………
Greg
Sydney

Peter T

Post by Peter T »

Great insight and report Greg. I might get you to draw up a plan with some measurements and thickness of ply etc for me if you would of both rudder and case when you get time. Would be very much appreciated. Cheers
Last edited by Peter T on Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

Watto
Investigator Boat Name: Ex - Fathom #82

Post by Watto »

I’d love if we could organise more than 1 investigator to be in the same place at the same time.

Always good to a reason to block out the calendar and get out on the water.

Maybe spring time?
Luke

-previously-
Fathom
Investigator sail #82