👍🏻 spot on Ozzie
Fair winds and following seas

Emrys
Investigator #166 'Current Affair'
Peter T
Investigator Boat Name: Sail- La- Vie

Re: Is trailer Sailing Dead in the Water

Post by Peter T »

Well Ozzie, I must say that I am still an avid Lawn Bowler. Even though I need to use a bowling arm these days. The invention of the light weight bowling arm has kept the bowling alive for many for a bit longer, even though I feel that it is only delaying the end in many cases. I know of one outlet that are selling over 100 bowling arms a week so they are becoming quite popular. With these AIDS to bowling, the older, more arthritic of us are still able to keep playing this wonderful sport without having to dump the bowls which damages the greens and without harm to themselves. We now even have State teams of bowlers with bowling arms and I happen to be the coach of the Tasmanian team. However , what we need is for the younger set to take up the sport and to do that I believe it needs to be taken up as a school sport but that can only happen if there is enough indoor bowling centres available so that it can happen at a specific time regardless of the weather. Also, I must say that the Australian team nowadays seem to be getting younger and younger which is a positive sign.
Regards Peter T
" Sail-La-Vie," # 114

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Ozzie
Investigator Boat Name: Spritzig II

Re: Is trailer Sailing Dead in the Water

Post by Ozzie »

Good on you Peter, I certainly wasn’t knocking bowling just also noting it’s decline in numbers much like tsing. In Dads day there was a device that was more of a lever that allowed people to bend lower to deliver their bowl lower and then assisted them to get up again. Only vaguely remember the design but was probably a proto idea that led to to the development of the arm . I’m all for keeping going at what you enjoy. Hence my boat mods and seeking out a lighter alternative outboard.

I think what’s happened in many instances is father’s actively these days does not get taken up by offspring. I had funny ideas that I would pass my investigator on to one if my daughters and they could take me sailing but her eventual husband grew up in Canberra (where they settled) and water sports were not so big there. So there goes that wish. But interestingly, none of my sailing friends locally who had sons got them interested in it as an adult activity. They all went on to motor bikes or similar which is what I did for a time.

As I’ve stated before on here, I was an avid aero modeller in my teens but the skills I learned in that period will be lost to a new generation who will by flying out of the box drones with “follow me “ functions. I’ll leave the last word to these dudes :lol: :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ue7wM0QC5LE
DA0843F3-C5C0-4EC4-ADE2-8DA3A9F11EC9.jpeg
RIP Chapman and Jones
Ozzie
Investigator #143 "SPRITZIG II"

The Mariner - “It’s too strange here. It doesn’t move right." ...
Enola - “Helen said that it’s only land sickness."
Waterworld (1995)